Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I need filter help please!

Hi everyone,
If you can give me advice on my filter you'd be a lifesaver. I have an API filter in a tank from Petco, all purchased new and used without incident until today. I moved my fish to clean the tank and when I plugged everything back in, the pump hums but doesn't create any motion in the water. I disassembled every part I could and wiped out a lot of gunk from the inside but still no dice- sound, which suggests the electricity is working, but nothing else. I'm not sure if there's something I can do to fix this or if I should get a new filter, in which case I'd also welcome advice on that. I've attached pictures of the offending apparatus- I'd like to figure it out asap so I don't have to worry about my fish!
Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	api1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	287537   Click image for larger version

Name:	api2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	287538  

Click image for larger version

Name:	api3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	287539  

Old 06-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I need filter help please!

Sometimes you have to pour water into a filter to get it started. If there is an opening in the top where there is usually water try filling it up while the pump is plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 06-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My issue has been resolved, however it seems I can't delete my thread. But this is a great forum and I appreciate anyone who thought about this, and I hope I can contribute in the future!

(And in case it might help anyone else, my unit was missing a hook on the back that must have come out in cleaning. I'd made another makeshift one as well as all manner of repositioning and fidgeting so I'm not sure why only that exact specific angle made it work, but I'm glad it did!)

Tags
filter, filter help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com