Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using both the Rena XP series and the Marineland C series. The XP series is a good dependable and quiet filter that is self priming after you clean it. The C series I liked quite well at first but lately it is not isolating properly when I need to clean it. That makes it a PITA to clean because I need to hook the disconnected hoses to the tank so that the water doesn't drain out of the tank. On the other hand, my oldest Rena is now about 4 years old and has been a quiet pleasure to have in my home since I got it. I also got a HOT Magnum on advice I read on line and find it to be quite noisy because the return fitting sits so high in my tank. Since it is not adjustable, I have had to use a piece of filter hose from one of my other filters to return the water below the water line in my tank. That way I can run it quietly but I am sure the poor return configuration makes the filter less effective than it could otherwise be.
In he XP series the XP2 or XP3 would be about right for a 55. If you stock heavily use the XP3, if you tend to stock lighter the XP2 would be plenty. They come with the option of using a nozzle or a diffuser on the return. I use the diffuser because I think it does a better job of distributing the return flow than the nozzle.

OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com