Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help regarding the best working filter.

I recently purchased a 4ft 55gallon aquarium it came with a whisper 60 filter, this is the second week since i set it up.
1. it is extremely noisy nothing whispery about this filter.
2. after the first week the water was coming through the center chamber instead of the the two filter flow channels as a result of this the water is already starting to turn cloudy and smell.

I have already made up my mind to purchase a new filter but what type should i get?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Annice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
For a 55 gal, I would recommend a canister filter as they are better equipped (IMO) for dealing with the quantity of water you are looking at. I myself have never had a tank that size and never actually owned a canister filter, so I'll leave recommendations about specific models to those who have experience.

The other option would be to try to upgrade to a higher quality hang on back (HoB) filter. It is generally felt that AquaClear makes the best HoB filters out there. For a tank as large as yours, I would recommend getting two (one for each end) rather than just one. Something like two AquaClear 50's is what I would think. Unlike the Whisper filters, AC's are very quiet in my experience, actually nearly silent except for the sound of the water hitting the surface water as it returns to the tank. Way quieter than the Whisper filters, though less quiet than a canister filter would be.

I still think a canister would be your best bet. But two AC's would be a viable alternative as well.

JohnPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

I agree, a canister filter will provide you with the best filtration. My personal preference is the Rena Filstars, and for a 55g I would recommend an XP3.

If you do decide to stay with a HoB style filter, I echo what JP said and would recommend Aquaclears, although I would run dual AC70s on a 55g tank personally.
In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If you have to have a HOB type filter, you can get a HOB canister as well. I have the Marineland HOT Magnum (my spare/diatom filter) and it is quiet. At 250 gph, it might be a little small if you have a heavy bioload <but 250 gph is more than most open HOB's.>

If you have room, a full size canister is better. The Filstar xp's, Fluvals, or Eheim ($$$) are all good.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the info guys like John Paul I have never used a canister filter but i will check out both options outlined.
Annice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Try the Magnum 350s you will love it
CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used to use the Magnum 350 on my 55gal and it worked fine and replacement parts are easy to come by. It's a good dependable filter. The only downfall for me was ease of use. If you use the pleated filter it clogs fast and if you use the foam sleeve with charcoal in the media cage it's a pain in the butt to up keep. It's so messy to clean and after a while the media cage starts to warp and then carbon leaks out and clogs the impeller. Just a big pain in the butt to keep working. A few times the impeller got stuck and damaged so I had to replace it. The quick disconnect hoses are a little clumbersome to use.

I now use the Filstar XP3 and let me tell ya, it's way better. so much easier to clean out and change the media. I really like the onestep quick disconnect, it's fool proof and you dont have to worry about accidentally opening it when it's disconnected. Much better product in my eyes. You can put in a biological (ceramic, stars...) and chemical (carbon....) at the same time so it's much more flexible.

The Magnum was good in it's day but there are much better stuff out there.
DHCrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been through a lot of filters in my time, and hands down the best I've ever owned is an Eheim Canister filter (2317). It's absolutely quiet (something I miss, now that I have a saltwater which is constantly noisty with a deep hum of a sump, and the constant trickling sound of water.) Very VERY easy to use, clean, and set up. Offers adequate water flow. In my case, the 2317 includes a heater inside it, so you don't need an extra heater hanging inside your aquarium. Parts are very easy to find, and relatively cheap. I changed a lot of my parts when I started using this filter for my SW setup.
To save money do NOT purchase the Eheim filter media when you need replacements, the generic stuff can be used just as well, just "cut it" to size. You'll save a lot of money this way.
I've also used the Fluval canister filters, they're good too... but a bit noisier, and the plumbing isn't as versatile. (mind you, this is years ago... they might have improved their designs in recent years.)
Justin_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Thanx but no.....

can't beat a Fluval 404 , or the price

I run 2

Hagen Fluval 404 Aquarium Filter NIB ~ FREE SHIPPING - eBay (item 380079314663 end time Nov-13-08 09:02:50 PST)
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with CaptainAhab, I use Fluvials as well. You can use a 304 on a 55, at least that's the one I use.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com