Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I need help with a protein skimmer.

I have a 55 gallon salt water tank setup with live rock and a few fish. I bought a skimmer online and it's one with a pump that hangs on the back of the tank and has the "tornado" effect in the tubes. It has only been set up a few days but I can't see if it's working or not. It doesn't even look like it produces any foam in the top of it. Please help!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440725306.783510.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	277103Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440725331.034916.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	277104

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That looks like a Seaclone skimmer. Skimmers in general take some time to 'break in' because of the oils from production. While adjusting things, on this model it would be by using the 'screw' on the airline tubing to do such. You'll want to have the bubbles halfway up the cup's neck to get an effective skim. With that said, this isn't a very good skimmer in the world of skimming...sadly don't think you'll be very impressed with it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
That looks like a Seaclone skimmer. Skimmers in general take some time to 'break in' because of the oils from production. While adjusting things, on this model it would be by using the 'screw' on the airline tubing to do such. You'll want to have the bubbles halfway up the cup's neck to get an effective skim. With that said, this isn't a very good skimmer in the world of skimming...sadly don't think you'll be very impressed with it.

Thank you. I appreciate your help! I hope it does okay for my tank I just don't know how to adjust it effectively

Old 08-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is one of the problems with the seaclone. You can only adjust it with the 'screw' on the airline. I'd suggest you open it up the entire way, almost until it comes off, and then after a week give it a turn towards closing it to work your way to it skimming effectively.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
That is one of the problems with the seaclone. You can only adjust it with the 'screw' on the airline. I'd suggest you open it up the entire way, almost until it comes off, and then after a week give it a turn towards closing it to work your way to it skimming effectively.

Thank you so much! I just screwed it almost all the way off and I'll wait and see how that does and I'll try to close it a little more each day I guess and see if I can tell a difference.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, rot, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com