I need some equipment advise on a FWT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zarganth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am planning of making a 200 or so DIY tank.

I plan to have a Peacock eel which from my understanding requires about 72F, I think I can start it off as a shrimp tank then add in other fish in like say some shell dwelling cichlids, With the Eel I would set up a substrate and some fine gravel or sand in sections of the tank depending what kind of plants I decide to add, though I plan to have a fairly deep sand bed more then enough for the eel to hide.

I plan to toss in a bunch of shells, some drift wood, though I may add about 50 or so plants and maybe a few types of moss.

These are so far things I plan to have in the tank, am aware the Eel will feed on the fish and shrimp, that is my goal in terms of providing it a live food source why I would start it off with shrimp then add in some of the fish then when I feel populations are high enough I will get the eel, though I will have a tank set up to breeding more shrimp in ideal conditions. Though I am thinking of adding in snails and some pleco.

If I find shrimp population to be to low to keep up with feeding then I would set up a marine tank to hatch some Brine shrimp and then let them grow out.

With this all in mind I plan to have a sump and I plan to keep the water at the bed fairly calm moving to not disrupt the fish dwelling there or the shrimp.

Since I will be making a DIY tank I will be using acrylic glass which I plan to set up the plumbing of the tank and then wall it off with another piece of glass to act as a overflow and drainage system.

What kind of Sump should I use and how much media may I need?

Unfortunately can't help on freshwater sumps as I use canister filters. Only thought would be making sure the eel can't get into the sump. I think I've heard of that locally (pretty sure a different type of eel though).

Unfortunately can't help on freshwater sumps as I use canister filters. Only thought would be making sure the eel can't get into the sump. I think I've heard of that locally (pretty sure a different type of eel though).
I am sure it will not be an issue about the eel getting into the sump, Peacock eels generally just hide in substrate/gravel and or sand and generally stay on the bottom of the tank and I do plan to make a tight fitting lid to prevent escapes. even if the eel escapes they can live for about 12 hours out of water before dying.

Back
Top Bottom