I need some help finding another skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, It's me again no crisis today.. Now it's just a matter of personal preference. I hate the skimmer I have. I know you said turn it off ... I did but I left it in the tank. Well I have decided that I hate it..I have a visi jet ps pro.. It is this huge freaking thing hanging inside my tank that is spitting bubbles everywhere (when I had it on) Also the cup sticks up like 7 inches off the top of my tank. This is a problem in that my tank is only like 12 inches wide. Just a standard 55 gallon. The problem here is with this sticking up It messes up my light.. I even bought the little legs for the light and it still dosen't work. So I have to have my light on there crooked which is just not working for me. Also Since it sticks up like it does I can't put in the glass top thing it is even to wide for the plastic back that I was able to cut around the attachments on the other side. Not having those in I think not only is a little unnerving but also not at all safe for my tank..My wife and I Keep a very clean house so there is always pledge and windex and other cleaning products being sprayed in that room not at the tank but still floating around in the air and I don't want anything getting into my tank. Not to mention I have a $300 dollar light exposed on that side of the tank..Not happy at all with the product. Is there a skimmer that I can hang outside on the back of my aquarium.. I was thinking the Seaclone 100 but I want to make sure A. it is a good skimmer and B. That the part going into the tank is not so huge that my light and glass tops are all freaked up..This is what I get for just buying what the LFS guy told me to and not doing research before I bought. I decided last night that I would rather drive 30 miles to a good store in another town than go back into the guy 2 minutes away..

Thank you for your help,

Doan

Well there are deep skimmer discussions on this site all the time. The general consensus seems to be for a tank that size the Aqua C remora is the best for the buck. In the sponsor forums there are two that I know of that carry these and even offer AA members a discount. I bought the Aqua C urchin (which is the same in sump version of the remora) and it is just great. So it may be better to order online as opposed to going local. I guess it depends on what you wanna spend. the remora should run near $160 shipped. Worth every cent in my book. HTH

Get the remora. That is what will be on my 55. I have it and it looks good, all that it is in tank is the powerhead (get the maxi jet upgrade). Spend the money and get one so you don't end up deciding you don't like the seaclone and spend even more money on a better one. HTH

I feel your frustration... I have a visijet 100 and it has irked me from day one!

I am going to break down today and get a remora from captivereefs, expensive but I am sure it will be well worth the dough. I have been researching this a lot too and reading all the forums I can scrounge up here regarding skimmers.

So today's the day I order.. goodbye visijunk!

:D

I was gonna but my wife told me to wait and she would get it for me for christmas.. Since I won't need it till then it is not a big deal.. I just cannot belive how bad that product is. Was it designed and put together by Bird people or people who build Submarines.. I just don't get the huge Freakin tower. Perhaps it is a bird perch who knows..

Anyway Good luck and let me know how the new skimmer works.
Thanks

Doan

HAHA. Three remora reviews back to back to back.

I think few more of you all have them aswell. Please add your expreences to our review page.

I didn't want to start a new topic since I almost have the same size tank, but its a bit of a different kind of tank.. I have a 45G tall tank. But whats different is what going in my tank. I am creating a macro algae tank, and currently it is almost done cycling, I have about 18 pounds of base rock and will seed it with about 7 pounds of LR, maybe more. I guess you could call this tank a fuge considering I am just planning on raising macroalgaes only and with a single 3 inch puffer that reaches 5 inches max... if that. Filtration-wise I have a Filstar XP3 with filter floss and foam and ceramics. The lighting is 2 65 watt PC (don't know if this matters but 6500K bulbs). Anyway I was wondering if I really need a protein skimmer, and if I do do I need one thats powered by a motor or should I get the one powered by a bubbler... the reason why I ask is because I am not sure if my tank set up will produce a bunch of gunk that needs to be picked up by a skimmer with a motor, or if it produces a little gunk that could be done by a bubbler skimmer. Thanks! everyone.

Back
Top Bottom