Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I need some info on lighfixtures

I pretty much just need a light system that has a normal white light florescent with a blue light. So I can just go back an forth and not switch out bulbs between day and night. I believe that's a moonlight but idk much about aquarium lights. So if anyone can help me find what i'm looking for so I can go ahead and buy one that would be great. Thank you for helping.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Moonlights" are typically low intensity LEDs that are most commonly blue, but sometimes white or a combination of both.

First, please be aware that moonlights are for us, not for fish, plants or corals.

What type of aquarium are you planning? (freshwater fish only, planted, reef, FOWLR, etc?) The answer to that question will go a long way towards us being able to help you out better.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Its a fish only aqaurium with freshwater community fish. Im basing the aqaurium around glofish and I. Just want a blue light whitelight combo, or a thin bluelight I can put next to it
Old 03-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your cheapest route in that case is to go with a fluorescent strip light and add on some inexpensive moonlights. You might check out these options:

Won Brothers Aquarium LED Lighting - AquaCave.com

TAAM LED Aquarium Lighting - AquaCave.com

The only fixtures I know of that integrate the moonlights with the fluorescents are going to start around the $100 range and the fluorescents in those might be more intense than you really want unless you're going to add some plants to take advantage of the higher intensity light. (You'd likely be fighting algae otherwise.)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea ill buy one under 150 dollars and what kind of plants do you recomend that are low maintenence because I looked up plant care and its seems like there is a lot of time conuming work to have your plants healthy
Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The easiest plants to keep IME are java fern, anubias, and apologeton. Other than giving them good light for 10 to 12 hours per day, all you would need to do is remove dead leaves. Amazon swords aren't bad either. Just don't buy bog plants which are often sold at pet shops. They look good for a week or two then rot away.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will they fight algae at all? And btw I apprieciate your help... alot
Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Established plants can compete with algae for the same nutrients, so in a way they do fight algae.

Tags
fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com