Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I need to move my tank a inch foward :T

Hay i just added a sump to my setup 65gal tank but the tank is too close to the wall and the overfolw wont fit .. right now i have it sitting on the side does anyone have a good idea how i could move it up? it just needs to come a inch but it would seem impossible :T

Old 07-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
zacdl

I want an overflow but this is my problem as well, lol.

I couldnt think of a safe way to do it.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Well saltwater is around 8.5 lbs a gallon, so even a small tank (like mine) of 30 gallons would weigh around 255 lbs (just water), then about 40 lbs of live rock, another 30-40 lbs of sand and I come to around 330 lbs of tank material (not even counting the tank and stand. I don't think you will be moving your tank unless you empty it first... Sorry for being the bearer of bad news...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
zacdl

The rock displaces water.

If you factor in EVERYTHING it normally averages out to 10 pounds per gallon... on average.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

grab one of those moving trolleys for heavy boxes and stuff. just lift the aquarium enough to take the weight off the floor and have someone shimmy it carefully forward. done that a couple times, and mine is a 120 gallon.
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFeKt
grab one of those moving trolleys for heavy boxes and stuff. just lift the aquarium enough to take the weight off the floor and have someone shimmy it carefully forward. done that a couple times, and mine is a 120 gallon.
Be sure that the stand is used to lift and not the tank... The tank isn't designed to be lifted full like this.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i usually walk my tank, i also have a 65 gal, 36 by 18 by 24 or whatever it is, i just lift one side, pull it out a inch or two, grab the other side and do the saem till its where i want it and straight, no problems with that, heavy , but it can be done
Old 07-23-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

you could put the overflow on the side but that would look awfully rediculous, or drain the water out into buckets and place whatever you have in your tank into the buckets. when you have the water level in the tank to a reasonable level, inch it forward.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
Just drain 80% of the water and move carefully. You only need an inch.....shouldn't be too difficult. I just did the same with my 50 gal the other day.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Unless the tank is huge, it should be doable. Drain about 80% of the water and then scoot it. Having stuff exposed to air will be ok for a short time. More you can remove the better though.

For my 75, I would not be easy but could be done.

Tags
move, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com