I need to move my tank a inch foward :T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddiedellz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hay i just added a sump to my setup 65gal tank but the tank is too close to the wall and the overfolw wont fit .. right now i have it sitting on the side does anyone have a good idea how i could move it up? it just needs to come a inch but it would seem impossible :T

:)

I want an overflow but this is my problem as well, lol.

I couldnt think of a safe way to do it.

Well saltwater is around 8.5 lbs a gallon, so even a small tank (like mine) of 30 gallons would weigh around 255 lbs (just water), then about 40 lbs of live rock, another 30-40 lbs of sand and I come to around 330 lbs of tank material (not even counting the tank and stand. I don't think you will be moving your tank unless you empty it first... Sorry for being the bearer of bad news...

The rock displaces water.

If you factor in EVERYTHING it normally averages out to 10 pounds per gallon... on average.

grab one of those moving trolleys for heavy boxes and stuff. just lift the aquarium enough to take the weight off the floor and have someone shimmy it carefully forward. done that a couple times, and mine is a 120 gallon.

DeFeKt said:
grab one of those moving trolleys for heavy boxes and stuff. just lift the aquarium enough to take the weight off the floor and have someone shimmy it carefully forward. done that a couple times, and mine is a 120 gallon.

Be sure that the stand is used to lift and not the tank... The tank isn't designed to be lifted full like this.

i usually walk my tank, i also have a 65 gal, 36 by 18 by 24 or whatever it is, i just lift one side, pull it out a inch or two, grab the other side and do the saem till its where i want it and straight, no problems with that, heavy , but it can be done

you could put the overflow on the side but that would look awfully rediculous, or drain the water out into buckets and place whatever you have in your tank into the buckets. when you have the water level in the tank to a reasonable level, inch it forward.

Just drain 80% of the water and move carefully. You only need an inch.....shouldn't be too difficult. I just did the same with my 50 gal the other day.

Unless the tank is huge, it should be doable. Drain about 80% of the water and then scoot it. Having stuff exposed to air will be ok for a short time. More you can remove the better though.

For my 75, I would not be easy but could be done.

i just lift one side, pull it out a inch or two, grab the other side and do the saem till its where i want it and straight, no problems with that, heavy , but it can be done

Mastershake has a good idea. Get a buddy to help. We did that on a 75 when we realized my friend's new overflow wouldn't fit.

You shoul not have to remove 80% of water. I just removed 25% of mine and then walked it over.

If I understand you correctly, melosu58, a 25% removal would leave about 50 gallons of water in the tank. Assuming zero displacement, the tank would weigh about 400 pounds. Even if you had the people to move that, the constant jarring of "walking" the tank would create tremendous stress on the tank and its seams. I think.

or, place a car tyre jack against the wall and the stand. (with protection padding of course) and wind it forward if you don't want to empty the tank.

Just brainstormed that one then :p

For a couple inches? I didnt know you was moving it next door. I`m only talking from experience. I had to move mine and two of us moved it the couple feet we needed to by only removing 25% and that only so it would not spash out the sides.

I just had to move mine out about an inch for an overflow box. All I did was drain about 30% of the water and lift each side little by little and move it out. If you have anything in the stand underneath take it out...

Back
Top Bottom