Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-03-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
I sure hope someone can help me in time.

Ok I'm about ready to give up on sw.... I have a major issue. I was looking at my bio-wheel attahed to my fluval 403 and noticed it wasn't turning so I pulled the hose out of the water and nothing. I then proceded to check the filter itself and it was HOT and not working. So I unplugged it and tore the top off. I took the impeller out and cleaned what little bit of gook was on it off. I put it back together and it's running but it will run for like 15mins then stop. If I unplug it for about5 mins or so it will run again. All but 1 fish is in the qt so I'm not concerend about the fish. All my inverts is what I'm concered about. I'm going to hook the magnum 250 up and run it for now. Will that be ok untill I can gather the money up to buy a new fluval or other filter. May take me anywhere from 2 days to a week to get the money.
After battling ich and this I'm feed up. Please tell me It'll get better...

briandh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You don't need the bio-wheel itself. The filter sounds like it's overheating. If so, get rid of it. Use whatever you have for now(mag 250) and just keep up on the water changes till you can get another filter. And yes it will get better. You just have to learn from your mistakes and remember that you are trying to recreate an eco system that was not intended to be in such a small space and it will have it's problems until you get the proper balance.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How much LR do you have and do you have PH for water movement? A mechanical filter is not required if you have 1.5-2lbs per gallon of LR and a skimmer. I plan on removing my canister filter once I get my closed loop setup for circulation.
Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Sounds like the motor is shot. Have you called fluval? Depending on how old it is you might get warranty service. Good luck.
Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
My bio-wheel on my 10 gallon acted up the other day. It isn't even very old. It stopped working so I took it apart and cleaned it. Then it was fine.

I think I may get a aquaclear filter for it if it happens again.
38 gal SW, CC, 40lbs base rock, 5lbs live, emporer 280, bio-wheel 330,tronic heater, 2 O. clowns, 1 firefish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
I got the fluval working. I stayed up with it most of the night. So far so good. Hopefully it will be ok untill i get a new filter l8r in the week.
I only have 40 lbs of lr so far.
briandh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
the impeller must rotatate on the shaft. precipitates can stop this. when you remove the impeller remove the shaft and clean both in either vinegar or clr. i prefer clr it is faster. obviously, always rinse very well before reassembling and putting back on line.

Want stats on tank? check my profile.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com