I think something is wrong with my filter's sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A change to an orangy-reddish colour is not all that unusual, and can be caused by a number of things, including algae, the food you are feeding, or any medications you may have used.

It's not bacteria or algea, I'm used to the rusty color from that, but my sponge turned the color of the word red in my first post, and it will not rinse out at all.

The only meds I have are MelaFix and PrimaFix (and some ICH meds which I haven't used since I put this sponge in).
Other stuff that I put in my tank is some aquarium salt, FloraPride (with water changes), StressCoat and StressZyme (irregularly or when using tap water)

I was just about to say that I haven't been using anything new, but I do remember adding Amquel with Buffers(ph) when I moved my tank down. I've use Amquel PLUS before and never had anything like this. I don't really think the Amquel is the culprit, but other than changing to sand, that's the only thing I've done different in my tank

It could be from a combination of the chemicals used in your tank. What foods ae you feeding? Many foods with dyes in them can affect the filter sponge colour, too.

Nothing new, Tetra Pro Crisps, Tropical Flakes, and some Wardley's flakes (sp?)
My dad may or may not have fed some powdered betta food when the fry were small, but I don't know.

I'm going to change the sponge soon anyway, it's gotta be full of snails by now

Back
Top Bottom