I Want an LED Light Bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a 5-gallon tank to be my quarantine tank. It is the Marineland 5-gallon Hex tank. It came with a standard 15W bulb that a) is rather dim, b) is quite yellowish, and c) gets quite hot. I'd like to replace it with an LED light bulb.

I also own a Marineland 10-gallon tank that came with an LED lighting system. The LED lighting on that tank is 22 white LEDs and 2 blue LEDs arranged in a 2x12 configuration. On that tank the lighting can be "all on", "all off", or "only blue" (nighttime mode).

As my 5-gallon tank's light switch is only on/off, I don't need a nighttime mode. However, I would like to find an LED light (in a bulb form factor, so it will fit) with a similar 11:1 (white:blue) ratio. I find that ratio gives a very pleasant color output. The LED bulb must be under 15W.

Can anyone recommend such an LED light bulb?

THANKS!

I didn't know that they made LED "bulbs" that fit into standard florescent fixtures... Sounds neat though.

I have to agree, LED lights are definitely the way to go. I use them in my planted tank, and they're great. I have two 6w "Stunner Strips", one with all white lights, and one with 3/1 white/blue lights. The whites are 8,000k and the blue are actinic, and supposedly they have a 5-10 year lifetime, and the spectrum never fades like florescent bulbs do after a year.

~Kaden

There are LED "light bulbs" that fit an incandescent socket. Most even have a plastic diffuser that looks like an incandescent bulb. I've seen them at Sam's Club for maybe $4-$5 a piece.

Interesting... I'll have to look into that... Haha, the LED strips that I bought were $50 a piece... lol

BigJim said:
Get either a CFL or an LED bulb in daylight spectrum.

Any idea where to buy something like this? I'd like to spend under $15 for this light. If you know an exact brand/model that would be great!

Online retailers are preferred, but B&M stores work, too, if they are a big chain (my smallish town only has the super-common stores).

Oh, I'd like the LED bulb to shine perpendicular to the axis of the socket. This is because the socket is parallel to the water surface in the tank's hood.

So, the bulb either needs to shine in every direction (like a normal light bulb does) or only perpendicular (like the part of a street light on top of the pole).

The LED bulbs I'm talking about are omnidirectional, like an incandescent or fluorescent bulb. You lose the directionality of LED, but you gain the energy savings.

BigJim said:
The LED bulbs I'm talking about are omnidirectional, like an incandescent or fluorescent bulb. You lose the directionality of LED, but you gain the energy savings.

Yeah, I'm fine with omnidirectional lighting - just not "flashlight" lighting where the bulb only shines along the axis of the socket.

Do you have a specific recommendation?

Nothing specific. I just happened to notice them while shopping and made a mental note for future reference. I've been happy with my CFLs on my planted tanks.

Glad to hear it. LED is nice, but it's still in it's infancy as a widely used technology. Give it a few years and you'll see them more places.

Back
Top Bottom