Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
If your filter is clogging up quickly, it must, in fact, be efficient at mechanical filtration. Having a filter that hides all the crud inside a can is no improvement. Anything in the can must be considered still in the tank.

Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Ok... I've had it with my filtering... Darn thing clogged AGAIN and leaked about a gallon of water on the floor... I'm looking into ordering the Cascade 1000 or Fluval 305... Fluval is slightly more but if it has better value I dont mind the extra few $$$...

Does anyone have experience with either of these? I would like to know what combo are you using for the filter media, ease of maintenance, any problems you have had or any other advice you can offer. I would also take note of other suggestions if there is something better.

Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I like the cascade filters. I have one 1500 on my discus and a 1500 on my saltwater. The sw has coarse and floss on the bottom tray and live rock and ceramic rings on the other 4 baskets. The discus has coarse foam carbon and floss on the bottom 2 trays and ceramic rings on the top 3 . As long as you follow the instuctions to unhook it you won't have any drips . Good filter for the money I paid 150 a peice from petmountain .com . Just make sure to order the rings .
Feed your Filtration
Give it to Porc Chop he'll eat anything!!!!!
"This is my tank and these other fish just live in it"
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am partial to the Rena Filstar canisters myself. I have used them for many years and never had a problem. I am currently running 11 of them,2's,3's, and 4's. Very easy to maintenance.
foster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I had two cascades 1000 and have found the, to be reliable and quite adaptable. In the three baskets I use: bottom coarse sponge and floss; middle carbon if I am using if not medium sponge and floss; top bio rings, orbs whatever I have handy and floss.

Be careful tightening the nobs attached to hoses and filter. One Filter I tightened too tight and I have to put the top on something when I clean--in tank water the baskets. The other I didn't and it is super easy to take to sink or bucket to swish....

revchristinejday is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com