I want to replace my filtering system...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 37-gallon planted tank that has a filtering system built into the hood. It includes a pump that pushes water up into a trough that contains the filter. The water is supposed to flow through the filter, through a slot into another area with a bio-wheel before going out through directional outlets back into the tank.

I like the idea of the biowheel but the problem is with the filters. They seem to clog up quickly and the water starts going over the filter and through the overflow slot to the biowheel. This system seems very inefficient at filtering the water. I'm not having problems with the water at this time (tested at 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates this past weekend) but I do travel quite a bit and dont want to have little or no filtering for weeks at a time. I have someone that will feed the fish while I'm gone but beyond that I don't expect them to mess with it.

I am looking for suggestions to replace the filtering system besides the old HOB systems. I dont have enough room to move the tank away from the wall without interfering with a door plus I like the way the hood looks with the lighting.

Anyone have any ideas on how to change the filtering without screwing up the hood and lights?

:fish2:

Thanks everyone... I was wondering about those... I have never used one, so my research is on! Thanks again!

Ok.... I've been searching the lowdown on the different brands... All of them have mixed reviews... Knowing people like I do I would attribute many of the bad reports more to not following the instructions than anything else... Yes, a couple of them had physical problems, but it seems more likely bad setups... Looking at the specs of the filters it looks like the Fluval 205 or the Cascade 1000 would work for my needs...

I noticed that some say not to have the intake near anything that produces air bubbles... that makes sense to me considering the noise that would cause and possible damage to the filter motor or impeller...

Do these filters cause enough agitation to keep the water oxygenated or is that even an issue? Is the spray bar a better choice than just the outflow?

Just wondering....

Looking at the specs of the filters it looks like the Fluval 205 or the Cascade 1000 would work for my needs...

I noticed that some say not to have the intake near anything that produces air bubbles... that makes sense to me considering the noise that would cause and possible damage to the filter motor or impeller...

Do these filters cause enough agitation to keep the water oxygenated or is that even an issue? Is the spray bar a better choice than just the outflow?

Just wondering....

I have an air-stone fairly close to the intake of my 404 and it's fine ... the suction is not so powerful that bubbles just get sucked in. As for agitation, you can aim the output up towards the surface to create agitation.

IMO ... If your looking at the Fluval 205 ... I'd say with your size tank, step up to the 305. Granted it's a bit more $$$, but it's GPH with your tank puts it at just under 5x filtration ... and more experienced members have recommended filtration to be 5x or more your tank's volume.

It looks like my new filtering will have to wait for now. I hope my tank will be okay. I cleaned out the filter again and told the person that is watching my tanks how to clean it if necessary while I am gone.

Going out of town tomorrow to visit family on the left coast and won't be back until Sept 4th.

I will keep looking while I travel and was wondering about the media. It looks like there are several options including carbon packets (I thought we weren't supposed to use carbon except to remove meds), ceramic rings, some odd looking plastic balls and some things that look like nasty peas.

I know I can use any or all of the different types, but is there a 'preferred' mix I should get to set this up when I finally get it?

Retired_AF said:
I will keep looking while I travel and was wondering about the media. It looks like there are several options including carbon packets (I thought we weren't supposed to use carbon except to remove meds), ceramic rings, some odd looking plastic balls and some things that look like nasty peas.

I know I can use any or all of the different types, but is there a 'preferred' mix I should get to set this up when I finally get it?

Most filters are basically Carbon (chemical) , Floss (mechanical) and something to grow your (biological) Beneficial Bacteria on.

The weird rings, balls, etc are to provide surface area for your good bacteria. Your filter pads or floss also grow it.

I currently am running small planted tanks. I'm told I can skip Carbon and use cheap batting from fabric stores. Since I rinse my Floss with tank water I don't replace it unless I have to. So monthly costs are nil to not much.

I am currently running HOB filters. But my first Eheim canister arrives soon.

Just remember don't over clean any filter. Don't change all of it at once or you lose a bunch of your Ben. Bacteria.

If your filter is clogging up quickly, it must, in fact, be efficient at mechanical filtration. Having a filter that hides all the crud inside a can is no improvement. Anything in the can must be considered still in the tank.

Ok... I've had it with my filtering... Darn thing clogged AGAIN and leaked about a gallon of water on the floor... I'm looking into ordering the Cascade 1000 or Fluval 305... Fluval is slightly more but if it has better value I dont mind the extra few $$$...

Does anyone have experience with either of these? I would like to know what combo are you using for the filter media, ease of maintenance, any problems you have had or any other advice you can offer. I would also take note of other suggestions if there is something better.
:fish2: :bb:

I like the cascade filters. I have one 1500 on my discus and a 1500 on my saltwater. The sw has coarse and floss on the bottom tray and live rock and ceramic rings on the other 4 baskets. The discus has coarse foam carbon and floss on the bottom 2 trays and ceramic rings on the top 3 . As long as you follow the instuctions to unhook it you won't have any drips . Good filter for the money I paid 150 a peice from petmountain .com . Just make sure to order the rings .

I am partial to the Rena Filstar canisters myself. I have used them for many years and never had a problem. I am currently running 11 of them,2's,3's, and 4's. Very easy to maintenance.

Hi! I had two cascades 1000 and have found the, to be reliable and quite adaptable. In the three baskets I use: bottom coarse sponge and floss; middle carbon if I am using if not medium sponge and floss; top bio rings, orbs whatever I have handy and floss.

Be careful tightening the nobs attached to hoses and filter. One Filter I tightened too tight and I have to put the top on something when I clean--in tank water the baskets. The other I didn't and it is super easy to take to sink or bucket to swish....

Back
Top Bottom