Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to start adding plants but just read carbon can take out ferts?!

So I have a bid on a 36" T5 fixture 10000k, I was just thinking about what material I should use in my filter instead of the premade carbon filters....HELP! thanks

Im hoping I don't get in over my head with all this....lol I want low-medium light plants and would prefer not to dose with Co2

Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
There is no need to run carbon, after 2 weeks it does not really work anymore anyway. I do not know what kind of filter you have but there is always a way to remove the carbon. That being said, I doubt carbon removes much from the water that plants need to grow anyway.

You can have a very nicely planted tank without the use of CO2.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k
There is no need to run carbon, after 2 weeks it does not really work anymore anyway. I do not know what kind of filter you have but there is always a way to remove the carbon. That being said, I doubt carbon removes much from the water that plants need to grow anyway.

You can have a very nicely planted tank without the use of CO2.
I have removed the carbon before but my lfs sells all the supplies to make DIY filters but im not sure what to buy.....any suggestions? Ultimately I would be able to buy sheets of the blue or white" batting" type material and cut them to fit each of my filters (I have 4 tanks) Im just not sure what else to put in there if I need layers of filter media?

These are the filters I currently have: Penguin Biowheel 150 on my 30 gal, whisper "J" on one of my 10g, aquatech 5-10 on another 10g and a topfin 20 on my 3rd 10 gal.

Tags
adding plants, carbon, fert, ferts, plant, plants, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com