Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
I use two smaller heaters in my 40 gallon; that way if one fails the other can work doubletime to keep the tank warm and if it goes bonkers it is not powerful enough to boil my fish (I'm am paranoid)
And I am sooo paranoid because that tank happens to have one of out two most favorite fish..Dutch the baby The Black Ghost Knife.

Dutch was very small at the start of the year. He is now over 7 inches.
(I heard they like clean water..I keep it so anyway. I have everyone at a toasty F80 in this house) They fare badly when small if fin nippers are in the tank. They have no back up locomotion if the bottom fin gets ruined. They are much more congenial than their Clown and Brown counterparts (mine is overly so). They are lurking predators unlike their counterparts..so it is a case of one less fish in the morning.
I hear that they can eat prey that is very large in comparison. Mine refuses anything less than a dainty bit (the betta went into the hidey hole and STOLE the scallop piece right out of his mouth...and kept its fins!)
If you want neat info go to the university experiments about electric fish.

"Fish! Thank You! Oh, tropical huh? Did you buy a heater? Auuugh!"

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Nothing paranoid there, that is what started my run of bad luck with heaters, one that stuck on over a long weekend last summer and toasted the tank.

Then the heater I replaced it with leaked but at least it diden't kill of the tank again.

Here for Aqurium Advice

- - Aquipment --
010gal Glass Tank-QT/Hospital
015gal Glass Tank-Partitioned Fish Jail
33gal Glass Tank-South American Cichlids {Angels)
120gal Glass Tank-Mixed Malawi Rift
small Koi/goldfish pond
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to Homeplate
I agree, Ebo - Jager, on heaters. I used a 150w Ebo on my 55gal with no problem.
Homeplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #14
Yes, I agree that I'm very paranoid also. You aren't the only one CHristmasfish. Heating is a factor that can make or break an aquarium...not to mention all the fish in it. I've taken into consideration all the horrible stories of people having a bad heater and it just ruining their tank and community within it. However I don't think that with the weather being so unpredictable here (with the cold days and nights due to rain weather) that I could have my tank prosper without having something to neutralize the conditions and make the temperature stable.
I too have a black ghost (no name yet)...and he is indeed one of the more 'special' fish to me. Well to tell you the truth...right now he's in a five gallon hex (WalMart special...) because it's easier to keep the temperature stable, which is needed at his young and tender age (he's only about 2 in. at the most which causes me more concern.) Not the best hoursing trust me but I will be introducing him to his proper home (a 55 gal.) when he is bigger. I've been trying to look for one of those ghost house things for him with no luck, the poor thing is living in a japanese pagoda ornament, which he likes for some reason. Pretty cute, but again not the best choice in housing. Christmasfish...when your black ghost was young what did you feed it? I've been thowing in some baby brine but I'm not too sure if he's even been eating. It's been about a week since I got him and he seems healthy still...err...must be doing something right I guess. I've really had some bad luck with these fish.
fhqwhgads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
OH...once again thanks everyone for all the advice.

fhqwhgads is offline   Reply With Quote

55 gallon, eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com