Ideas for replacing a 120 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aseradyn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking for ideas and advice, as I've been running around in little mental circles without making a decision :rolleyes:

I had a 120 gallon tank (roughly 48"x24"x24") for about 15 years. This spring, I came home from a vacation and found about 100 gallons of water soaking through my carpets and walls, and the house smelled like a swamp. Fortunately, I was able to save all the fish and plants and give them away. Remediation and remodeling work is done, and now I'm getting to where I actually want to buy a replacement of some kind.

I already gave away the tank on Craigslist. I am just not confident enough in my DIY skills to trust myself trying to re-seal the tank; better to start with something new. I kept the stand, though, because it's still solid (though needs some cleaning) and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. It has an open, framed top, but I should be able to make a thick top for it that will support just about anything.

I do NOT want to just buy another glass tank that big. My friends and family are all inching into middle age or later, and we've got back problems and arthritis and other concerns that make moving a 200-pound piece of glass problematic.

I have three ideas for an encore:

1. Replace it with a more modestly-sized glass aquarium. A 55 or 75 would use the whole width of the stand and look the least weird, I think. Easily the cheapest option, both because these tanks are relatively common and because I can keep using my existing lights.

2. Replace it with an acrylic tank. Less chance of a repeat of the Great Flood, maybe? Also way more expensive. But mostly, since we have hard water, I'm concerned about being able to keep the top clean and clear for lighting. I keep having to replace the glass tops for my tanks every few years, because eventually I get mineral deposits I cannot scrape or dissolve off.

3. Replace it with a pair of 24x24 cube aquariums, each 45 or 65 gallons. Would limit the size of fish I could keep, but would give me more options for keeping incompatible fish. I can't quite work out if that is nuts or not.

Do you folks have other ideas/recommendations/thoughts/advice/etc?

Back
Top Bottom