ideas, ideas, ideas........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I've wanted to get a 55 gallon for a while now, and I think I'll finally be able to get one. I've found one on craigslist, 100 for everything.it comes with a hob filter which I'll use until I can afford what I want to do in the long run.

What I want to do eventually is a sump, with the overflow of the aquarium going down a 4" pvc pipe with mechanical filtration (filter floss) and under that sine cheap biological filtration because why waste the space. Once it gets to my sump I'm making a fluidized bed filter with k1 kaldnes. I'm probably going to use a 20 high or 20 long. If I can find one though, I'd rather use a 29/30. The most expensive is the k1 Kaldnes, about 70$ for 25 liters shipped. Also I need to find a decent enough, quiet air pump to fluidize the k1.

What am I missing? I'm wanting to order since manzanita driftwood and use pool filter sand for substrate.

Thanks for any input and advice

-1998golfer

By the way, I'm planning on using a submersible pump for return, likely 500gph because of head. I'll drill the tank with a 1 3/4 bit from glass-holes.com which accommodates a 1 inch bulkhead. I'm nit exactly sure about where yet or what piping I'll use. I'll make something in Autodesk or sketchup and upload it when it's done.

Again, thanks.

-1998golfer

So your using the overflow tube to house area dor BB to grow... interesting idea. I thought of something along those lines when I red you could pump water down over bioballs to create a froth that would skim 100% of the water going to the sump.

What type of media will be in your overflow tube?

I was thinking of using those pot scrubbers from the dollar store. I've heard they work really well and are 6 for a dollar

Just shoving them in. I'll wash them before and remove any metal pieces holding it together

Just shoving them in. I'll wash them before and remove any metal pieces holding it together

Hmm I feel this could spell a clog. What woll be in place to prevent a debris build up and clog?

I have already decided to use this same idea but I will be using bio balls since debris will flow over them to be catched in my sump for easy removal.

You could try tying fishing line to the bottom pot scrubber and fishing it through the middle of the others one and leave enough slack up top for a loop or handle of sorts. It would make removal easier. Or leave the top pot scrubber untied so that you could rinse it frequently to prevent any buildup that could lead to a clog.

I
Hmm I feel this could spell a clog. What woll be in place to prevent a debris build up and clog?

I have already decided to use this same idea but I will be using bio balls since debris will flow over them to be catched in my sump for easy removal.

Actually I forgot to mention I'm putting a filter sock over the pipe. Or maybe some filter floss.

Do the filter sock/filter floss if replaced/cleaned weekly will prevent clogging right?

I would think that it would. What will be inside the tank. If anything large gets caught in there it could still clog.

Well I'd have something around the intake so big things can't get in.either a done block or a grid wrapped around above the intake

Depends on your return pipe. Good rule of thumb is to double your overflow pipe. 2 inches intake should have 4 inches overflow. Primary used for safty. Water coming in is being pumped and forced in water leaving is going at its own pace.

Depends on your return pipe. Good rule of thumb is to double your overflow pipe. 2 inches intake should have 4 inches overflow. Primary used for safty. Water coming in is being pumped and forced in water leaving is going at its own pace.

It's really only a 55 gallon, so it doesn't need a while lot of flow. IIRC a 1" could handle about 600gph. My return will probably about 300-400 after head. Submersible fountain pump.

What size sump

I am going to aim for a 20 or a 29/30. Fluidized bed with 25l of k1 kaldnes. Absolute overkill, apparently on average you only need 4 or 5 liters of k1 for a 55, but 25 liters is about the same price as buying 10 liters since they don't sell 10 liter bags, only 1, 25, and 50 so 10 1 liter bags is the same price as 1 25 liter bag.

Too much biomedia is not a bad thing. Though it won't grow more BB (which is dictated by the amount of nutrients available) it has the potential to do so. I like the idea of fluidized; from what I understand, that particular media is self cleaning when placed in constant motion.

Yes, it would be a good idea to keep the filter sock clean with regular rinsing.

Since you are drilling the tank, you might consider a second drain hole. If for some reason the primary drain gets obstructed, the secondary drain will handle the flow.

Too much biomedia is not a bad thing. Though it won't grow more BB (which is dictated by the amount of nutrients available) it has the potential to do so. I like the idea of fluidized; from what I understand, that particular media is self cleaning when placed in constant motion.

Yes, it would be a good idea to keep the filter sock clean with regular rinsing.

Since you are drilling the tank, you might consider a second drain hole. If for some reason the primary drain gets obstructed, the secondary drain will handle the flow.

Yes I know that more biomedia is better that's why I'm loading this thing.would a filter sock or filter floss be better? Filter floss is way cheaper.
I didn't think about a second drain hole. I guess it wouldn't be that hard since the drill bit will drill 2-3 holes. All I'd have to do I'd buy a second bulkhead and hook it up. If I go with 2 should I go with the 1" bulkheads?

Back
Top Bottom