Ideas On Covering A Metal Aquarium Stand ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will be getting a 29 gallon Petco Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand.Petco Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand at PETCO It looks solid and is cheap. I was thinking of wrapping it with wood or some type of fabric ?

Any suggestions ?

Maybe "wrap" something like these shelving boards around it. Screw or glue them together. Wood Shelves | Rubbermaid

I have a 32" wide x 15" deep board from a dresser I could put on top. Which I like because the aquarium stand is basically the exact same dimensions as the tank. I like having the extra space around the aquarium, just seems like it would be less likely to tip over.

I could put some type of thick black fabric around it, not sure what type though.

I've tried two higher priced "wood" 29 gallon aquarium stands - Petco Kingston and Top Fin 29 gallon wood stand - and they just seemed like they would tip too easily.

Thanks

the wood sounds like the wood would be the way to go. the make self tapping screws that would go through both wood and the metal stand. only problem would be if you have a problem with seeing a few hex heads here or there.

Draping it in a darker fabric would look nice in some rooms and be cost efficient.

you can glue some wood panels or go high tech and get some good strong magnets inbed them in the wood panels and you have easy access to pumps or storage ....

Thanks for all the replies.

the wood sounds like the wood would be the way to go. the make self tapping screws that would go through both wood and the metal stand. only problem would be if you have a problem with seeing a few hex heads here or there.

Yeah, I like to go with the wood. I would just secure the wood together not actually into the tank stand. The stand will hold the tank, I would just use the wood for appearance.

I've not tried it but maybe you could try gluing the wood planks to the stand also, since it's only there for decorative purposes.

I was thinking of using a larger piece of wood that will sit directly on top of the stand, then glue the sides and back to the bottom of the top piece of wood.

Draping it in a darker fabric would look nice in some rooms and be cost efficient.

Velcro is cheap. Just get some fabric and use velcro along the edges to secure it.

I was thinking fabric would be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Maybe use a cheap dark thick curtain.

you can glue some wood panels or go high tech and get some good strong magnets inbed them in the wood panels and you have easy access to pumps or storage ....

Magnets are a really good idea. It might be useful to be able to remove the panels for moving, cleaning and maintenance.

I will probable buy a $10 curtain, cut it to size and tape or velcro it to the stand for now until I can find exactly what type of wood I can use. Would like to put some moldings around the wood too and a door.

I just hope when I get this metal stand this week it is stable on my carpet and dont have to return it.

Back
Top Bottom