Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Identifying tank/lid size???

i bought a huge tank (dimensions are 72 1/2 X 24 1/2 X 30 1/4 od) and was told it is a 225 gal. i am trying to figure out it's true size. i visited all glass' website and all they have listed at most is a 210 gal, with dimensions at 72 1/2 X 24 1/2 X 29 5/8. http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html (under technical info)

this leads me to believe my tank is made by perfecto, but their website is down. http://www.perfectomfg.com/

then, i stumbled upon saltyzoo.com's aquarium converter..... http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/DimGalConv.php

according to them, i, indeed do, have a 225 gal. i just need some confirmation if any of you out there are experienced in the dimensions of aquariums....

i am in search of a glass lid (1) because my arrowana broke one and i had some plywood covering the new "hole." but don't know what size to order for. thanks!!!

if not anything, at least there's a cool link for saltyzoo, i am sure everyone can get some use out of that thing......

Old 06-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its true size is a math equation.

Total Area (in. cubed) = L in. x W in. x H in.
1 US gallon = 231.000001 in. cubed

72.5 x 24.5 x 30.25 = 53731.5625
53731/231 = ~233

So it is about 233 gallons. I rounded the decimals but its close enough. I bet you measured from the outside though. To get its true size you should measure from the inside, glass that for a tank that size will be quite thick. But in any case, it looks like you have a 225 gallon alright. As for the lid, does the tank have some kind of divided frame?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #3

thanks for clearing that up!! the top DOES have dividers (2). this makes for three lids. i stoppoed by my LFS and they want to sell me all three...
Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Of course they do. The tank is 72 inches long so basically all you need is enough lids to cover that. I.e. two 36 inches or some other combination that adds up to 72 inches.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkamaniac
Of course they do. The tank is 72 inches long so basically all you need is enough lids to cover that. I.e. two 36 inches or some other combination that adds up to 72 inches.
my tank has a total of 3 lids, not two, but i get the drift.......thanks for the info guys......anyone have a link 4 any of these 4 sale?????
Old 06-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got mine from Petland locally. They sell the Marineland perfecto lids. Usually a decent price for them too. Of course I hate to buy glass over the internet but you can get them from www.drsfostersmith.com

Direct Link

You will need 3 lids (probably 24") and they should be measured from the inside edge of each divider (they should all be the same length but some tanks are weird). There will be a lip on the framing which the lids will rest on. They come with a plastic rear section that can be cut for filter tubing or HOB filter input and electrical cables (such as an in-tank heater) or airline tubing. I would recommend cutting as close to the inputs as possible. You do not want a gap that a fish could jump through.

Finally back to your original post, I forgot to mention, Perfecto is a division of Marineland so their website is www.marineland.com

Tags
identifying, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com