If money was no object, what brand of aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undbulsu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
would you purchase for an ~ 125 gallon reef set-up? I know this may be an individual choice as to glass vs acrylic, but I want to get some ideas from the experts before I start the plunge. It is going to be an ongoing process, starting with the tank, then lights, then filter, sump, etc. Thanks.

I'd go glass. I maintain a 125 acrylic reef and 125 glass FOWLR, and the acrylic scratches way too easily. The front glass needs a total sand resurfacing job after a couple of years.

My Glass 125 is 6 years old and scratch free after countless stanless steel blades scrping algae off of it.
If price were no object (and my bonus was actually a BONUS) I'b be looking to do a 500 - 800 gallon GLASS aquarium. If I hot the Powerball tonight the tank size may grow <lol>.

I prefer acrylic for anything larger than 75g due to weight, but also added clarity and ease of manipulation (cutting, holes, etc.). Acrylic does scratch, but can easily be removed whereas glass scratches are pretty much permanent. If money is no object I would purchase glass from Deep Sea Aquatics or acrylic from Casco (SeaClear), Advance Aqua Tanks (Clear For Life), Tenecor, or TruVu.

glass all the way. stiffer, harder to scratch (although not impossible i have found lol). ok so heavier, but really, in the grand scheme of things, you got 125gallons of water, rock, etc. thats 1200odd lbs of weight right there, really, whats the few extra pounds saved by plastic? just my opinion.
if money no object though, id go custom. using starfire glass, which gives you much better clarity than regular glass. rivals acrylic i think. few manufacturers using it now too.
heck if i could find someone who could do it, a 120gall wave front tank would be awsome. would be some major custom work though.. but money no object :)
thats my dream anyway.

Back
Top Bottom