If money were not an option...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
If money were not an option, would it be a good deal to invest in several small tanks, or a couple large (300+ gallon) tanks? My LFS has a few sets put together that are great deals, large volume tanks, with all the trimmings including custom stand/canopy setups. There are a few I've been eying, but have yet to have the funds for them. Would I need a prefilter tank with a brackish setup, or could I use a regular tank setup? My next tank will be brackish, whether I have 1 fish in a 100 gallon tank, or 5 fish in a 300 gallon, I will have my puffer fish, and my fiance will have her mono...

I appreciate the help and advice,

Bear

Hmmm...I really believe it depends on what your goals are. If you were to say, get deep into breeding, several 40g breeder tanks along with a couple large show tanks would be an ideal situation. Brackish tanks don't need a pre-filter (sump) tank, that would entirely your choice.

If you have your heart set on doing show tanks, then by all means get the largest one you can fit into your footprint and then stock accordingly. :)

I agree with Bill, the choice would be dependant on what you wanted to do with the tanks. If money and space were both no concerns, I'd big and small tanks. :)

well...how about if the money were no issue, and space would not be a problem. I was day dreaming the other day, and thought about building a house around 4 main things: The master suite and kids rooms, computer/hobbie rooms, aquarium room, and the kitchen...everything else would be planned around these. Whether this dream will ever come true, thats a different story...LOL As far as breeding would go, no, not really planning on breading too much. I do know that our main show tank would be the custom one we want to build, and likely with a few 185 gallons, and maybe a few smaller ones...

I would get one big enough that I could swim in it!

lol i was just thinking.... 4000 gallons sounds about right. Somewhere I saw someone getting a 4K gallon tank delivered and they had to open his roof up and lower it in by crane. Wouldnt that be sick if you could go swim with your fish??

I think I'd have a heart attack if I saw the price tag on a tank that big though.

Heck maybe just go for the win and get a tank big enough for a manatee. Wonder what LFS I could go to to pick one of those up....

Back
Top Bottom