Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
If you got a brand new tank and showed up like this

Long story short. My new tank came a week ago. Two days later there was a 22" crack in the back panel. I flipped out, called the carrier, the company I ordered from, etc etc. I was told it happened in shipping and I needed to file a claim, but I already signed for it. I started getting a few quotes trying to replace the panel and they have ranged from $1200-$2000 believe it or not because of the labor involved. The last guy that came went over the whole tank and found the bottom like this (pics). I never even noticed it. I pad $2600 for this. This clear defect more then likely would have a cause a stress fracture in the glass, correct?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to hear about what's going on...I hope you paid with credit card and dispute the charge!

By the way...what are the pictures of? What are we looking at? It's kind of close up, so you can't really tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ouch! Such a shame.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If it's a manufacturer's defect, the company should replace it under a warranty, assuming they have at least have a basic warranty. For that amount of money, it should be made near flawless. If not, I would try to return it and if they refuse, dispute the CC charge.

But honestly, I can't tell what's wrong from the pictures... is there a gap or something along the bottom seam?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't really tell from the picture either but I would look at what you signed. If it's just a receipt from the shipper that you received the product, I'd say you've got a lot to stand on. If there's nothing stating you actually had time to inspect the contents of the package, you may be surprised. Also, I don't know of any reputable companies that appreciate negative reviews. Most will try to resolve issues first.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What you are looking at is the bottom of the tank and the back of the tank. Its completely overlapping.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
What you are looking at is the bottom of the tank and the back of the tank. Its completely overlapping.
Without seeing it and just going off your description, I'm not sure how that would cause the crack. As long as the back panel was fully seated on the bottom, regardless of overlap, it should have been fine since its weight is fully supported.

If it were the other way (the back panel hangs over the bottom and not fully supported) that would be a definite problem.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK. Regardless, the company should be replacing this tank because of the craftsmanship, correct?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

It looks like it was built like that purposely, so I'm not sure. If they built it to spec, they might push back on an exchange or refund. Just gotta talk to them and find out.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im sorry to link a post to another forum, but it's gotten way too long. If you feel like it, please read what the supposed "owners" are saying. It's getting way out of hand now,

Replace glass or tank?

Tags
new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com