If you got a brand new tank and showed up like this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long story short. My new tank came a week ago. Two days later there was a 22" crack in the back panel. I flipped out, called the carrier, the company I ordered from, etc etc. I was told it happened in shipping and I needed to file a claim, but I already signed for it. I started getting a few quotes trying to replace the panel and they have ranged from $1200-$2000 believe it or not because of the labor involved. The last guy that came went over the whole tank and found the bottom like this (pics). I never even noticed it. I pad $2600 for this. This clear defect more then likely would have a cause a stress fracture in the glass, correct?

img_3163222_0_06fbe17f7f86ba397973e3a959ddf944.jpg

img_3163222_1_7e5b30d6ee304283070d7e4ec03df4cf.jpg

Sorry to hear about what's going on...I hope you paid with credit card and dispute the charge!

By the way...what are the pictures of? What are we looking at? It's kind of close up, so you can't really tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it's a manufacturer's defect, the company should replace it under a warranty, assuming they have at least have a basic warranty. For that amount of money, it should be made near flawless. If not, I would try to return it and if they refuse, dispute the CC charge.

But honestly, I can't tell what's wrong from the pictures... is there a gap or something along the bottom seam?

I can't really tell from the picture either but I would look at what you signed. If it's just a receipt from the shipper that you received the product, I'd say you've got a lot to stand on. If there's nothing stating you actually had time to inspect the contents of the package, you may be surprised. Also, I don't know of any reputable companies that appreciate negative reviews. Most will try to resolve issues first.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

What you are looking at is the bottom of the tank and the back of the tank. Its completely overlapping.

Without seeing it and just going off your description, I'm not sure how that would cause the crack. As long as the back panel was fully seated on the bottom, regardless of overlap, it should have been fine since its weight is fully supported.

If it were the other way (the back panel hangs over the bottom and not fully supported) that would be a definite problem.

It looks like it was built like that purposely, so I'm not sure. If they built it to spec, they might push back on an exchange or refund. Just gotta talk to them and find out.

I believe this is an appropriate response?

OK, Damian here is my final response and offer.

Planet sent me a response letter yesterday to forward to you. Though I agree with their response I new you would not so I had to have a conversation with them today to try and come up with what I feel is a more than fair resolve.

Between Planet, DFW and Myself, we will replace your tank 100% at our expense.
Planet would make this build a priority and make sure that the quality is up to par for this style of tank.
The names Reef Savvy and Elos were mentioned. If you want this level of quality I say no problem but as you know that goes to a whole different price level. I didn't get the impression that's what you wanted or we would have started this differently. You will be responsible for the cost difference if you decide to upgrade to this style of aquarium.
You will be responsible for the freight costs. Last time it was $500.
I would need you to stay on the current damage claim until its final resolve.
I would ask, if you accept this offer, that you post a retraction on Reef2Reef and any other forum that we satisfied your situation.

On behalf of DFW, Planet and Fluid Designers we apologize for your problems and hope that you find this offer acceptable.

I've looked at those pictures on reef to reef!
I don't care if this was a cheaper option, the workmanship is clearly lacking!
The glass work is rough!
My DIY display tank builds have better silicone work and I'm not even a pro tank builder!
(They don't leak and are not cracked, they are neat and presentable with proper joints with full beads in the seam, I think I could've taken more time on the finish but they are good enough for me)

Maybe I'm in the wrong line of business!

I mean, you could fly me in from England and I'd do a better job for less! That's not bragging either, that's just what I think!

Hope you get this fixed.

Back
Top Bottom