Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-27-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a noob.. what is this part on my fixture?

I know that I definitely need new bulbs.. they are flourescents NO I believe you call them

Anyway on the fixture there is a cylinder.. thing that I thought was a turn nob until I pulled on it and it came out. It has 2 metal type things on it.. and I just pushed it back in and the fixture works fine.

What is this? some kind of backup battery or something?

wavetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
It is the ballast that fires up your bulb.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry to get technical Tank Girl, but I believe what Wavetide is talking about is actually the starter. Ballasts are much larger and heavier. Also They were used on older, and cheaper (sorry WaveTide) fluorescent fixtures. If your fixture is the type where you have to press a button until the bulbs start to glow it has no ballast, and that piece is the starter. What a starter does is does is it builds up an electric charge to ignite the neon gass in the tubes. In addition to pushing it back in it should also turn about 1/8 turn to lock it in place.
Aquarium: 55 gallon with 60 lbs fluorite 20 lbs gravel
Filtration: Eheim 2026 Pimp #168 with Fluval surface skimmer
Lighting: PC 130 watts of 6700k PCs 12hours, 130 watts 10K 4 hours.
Co2 suppl.: 10lb tank with Milwaukee al in one.
Flora:Java Moss, Water Sprite, Microsword, Anacharis, Water Primrose, Rotala rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus x barthii, Bacopa monnieri
Fauna: 3 Sailfin Mollies, 8 Tiger barbs, 6 Cory Julii, 6 Ottos, 2 SAEs, 9 Amano shrimp.
tazcrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
You are so right! I totally misspoke - the ballast is the heavy box-like part on some fixtures. The starter does fire up the bulb, though....
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com