Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, if you're in the market for diatamaceous earth, I happen to know that you can get 25 lbs for only $10 at Lowes. I bought some by mistake yesterday thinking it was pool filter sand.

I was going to ask if you'd thought of using filter shrimp or freshwater clams? An expensive diatom filter might not be necessary when there are relatively inexpensive critters that would like nothing better than to eat your algae. They might not fit in with your tank setup, of course, but it's certainly worth considering.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Do you have a PO4 testkit?
This tank is planted is it not? if so your NO3 to PO4 ratio should be about 10:1.. once the plants get the NO3 they need they will absorb the PO4.. leaving the greenwater to starve

Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered a Vortex D1 last night, shipped today, should arrive by Thursday, and my green water problems should be gone forever by Friday!
Actually, the tank is clearing up very slowly on its own. I've been doing 75% water changes every two or three days and it's not clouding up as badly between them. However, it still looks hazy/crappy.

I don't have a PO4 test kit. I looked for one, but the lfs near me don't carry it. I know that my NO3 is now reading 0 thanks to the green water - usually it is 5 - 10 ppm.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Be sure and post an "after" pic for us, and let us know how you liked the Vortex.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

and dose some NO3.. :P
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Greenmaji, do you have any suggestions about NO3 dosing? Keep in mind that I don't have CO2, and my wpg is 1.3. I have access to reagent grade KNO3 at work. I've also thought about buying one of the commercial ferts like Flourish, and just following the directions.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have SYSTEM I diatom filter that I used only 4/5 times. Let me know if someone needs it.
1 Black and 1 Lyretail Mollies, Swordtail
Purple Spotted Gudgeon, Pictus Cat
Gold Nugget Pleco, Rainbow Shark, Silver Dollar
6 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 Long-Finned Zebra Danios, 3 Cardinal Tetras
Plants: Banana plant
newhobbist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

QTOFFER.. check the ferts sticky for chucks calculator and links on how to dose KNO3.. I would dose it up to 10ppm and see if that helps (just keep testing the water and see how fast it consumes the NO3.. it basicly depends on the species of plants and the conditons) just a side note: you can have a low light planted tank that needs ferts.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Greenmaji, thanks for the tips. 8)
I picked up a phosphate test kit and my levels in both my tapwater and the tank (after running the diatom filter) were between 0.5 and 1 ppm. My nitrates are usually about 10 ppm, but they're still showing 0. I found the fert calculator, and I'm going to start dosing the tank with some potasium nitrate from work. To start, I'll try to get the nitrate levels back up to 5 ppm over the course of a week.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

you want your NO3 to PO4 ratio to be about 10:1.. If your water is testing .5 ppm PO4 consistantly then 5ppm of NO3 might work fine.. but if your getting 1ppm PO4 or its likely you might be safer doseing NO3 up to 10ppm.. HTH
good luck with that green water

Tags
diatom, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com