I'm looking for a good Protein Skimmer under $100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superboy114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Group, I'm looking for a good Protein Skimmer under $100 for my 28 Gallon Bowfront. Any Recommendations???

LOL Sorry, Doug is right. The terms "under $100" and "good skimmer" are not compatible. Don't skip on your skimmer man. It'll make or break your tank and possibly keep you in or get you out of the hobby.

I beg to differ, you can get and eshopps psk-75 in sump skimmer for about $98. The hang behind will cost you a lil bit more in the price range of $130. I have a psk-100 on my 75 and it works just as good as my buddies coralife.

Octopus is top of the line, and it's $20 more than "under $100"... go with that.

I beg to differ, you can get and eshopps psk-75 in sump skimmer for about $98. The hang behind will cost you a lil bit more in the price range of $130. I have a psk-100 on my 75 and it works just as good as my buddies coralife.

Exactly as I said "you cannot get a GOOD skimmer for less then $100. Every suggestion you've gotten so far says "a little over a $100". Compare to a Coralife?? I thought we were talking about "Good" skimmers?? So how are you begging to differ when you're suggesting a $130 skimmer???? He asked for under a $100. Beg to differ when you suggest a GOOD hang on back skimmer for LESS than $100 like he asked for.

With a tank that size I think you could "get away" with not using a protein skimmer. Regular (weekly?) PWCs would work.

Exactly as I said "you cannot get a GOOD skimmer for less then $100. Every suggestion you've gotten so far says "a little over a $100". Compare to a Coralife?? I thought we were talking about "Good" skimmers?? So how are you begging to differ when you're suggesting a $130 skimmer???? He asked for under a $100. Beg to differ when you suggest a GOOD hang on back skimmer for LESS than $100 like he asked for.

He never said anything about HOB i just gave him the option b/c i dunno if he has a sump or not, but yes the psk-75 in sump is $98 i believe that is below $100.

those are not good skimmers. neither are coralife skimmers. you are wasting your money with those.

and to answer trackfasts question about what size of tank can you maintain without a skimmer, the answer is- any size tank. you can keep a 1000 gallon tank without a skimmer. you will have to remove excess nutrients some way though, so whether it's large water changes, mechanical filtration, chemical means....it's gonna be something.
a skimmer is another component that helps you to keep the tank clean.

in my experience, it's something you shouldn't skimp on. that said, for a tank under 30 gallons, i would just be religious with my water changes and skip the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom