Im looking for an RO unit for under $100.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floods7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is my best options for a RO under $100. I only have a 20g, but using tap water is really killing me. what would you guys recommend?

You can find some good deals on eBay. I just bought one for less than $70, with shipping still less than $85. It produces 75 gallons per day.

So this will allow me to get the water quality I need for good water conditions. I dont want to get something that is terrible then end up spending more money later.

Thanks

It served me for over a year and produced 0 TDS water with no phosphates or nitrates.

The one I linked is a portable unit so you can set it up with a garden hose or your sink and just store it when not needed. The filter replacements are needed after about I'd say 6-9 months and they cost about $30. I make lots of water too, I have several tanks that use the water the largest being my 125g reef.

You could spend a bit more and get a higher quality unit that is also much larger but overall probably cheaper to run. BUT you have such a small tank you really don't need all the bells and whistles in my opinion. Here is a link for a nicer unit
75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System - English

I'll second the recommendation from Carey on the eBay unit - I have that exact unit too and find it works great for my 20g. Doesn't take too long to fill a 5g bucket which is more than enough for a 25% weekly water change on a 20g. Free, fast delivery, and the 100GPD unit should allow you to expand to a larger tank without immediately needing to upgrade the RO/DI unit too.

how often do you think I would be replacing the filter on that more expensive option?

Also, is it a better unit because it purifies water better or because the filter doesnt need to be changed as often?

The quality of the actual unit is heavier and more sturdy. It's also a full size unit so it is at least twice as big as the ebay model. But you can buy standard size replacement filters with the more expensive one while the ebay one needs to have them come from the same company. They have a website called P U R E W A T E R C L U B you can check out all their units if you like.

Both will give you the cleanest water, no difference as far as that. End results are the same. I only think your filters would be changed 6-9 months since your not making very much, it probably would be longer. I got almost 8 months out of my set of filters recently and I make hundreds of gallons a month.

Oh and the cheap one will make water faster by about half the time. You get like 5 g an hour and 2.something with the BRS one. It has to do with the actual RO membrane.

Well thank you for all of you help. I think I will order that one on ebay. I appreciate it!!

I'm also on the hunt for an RO unit and just checked the Purewater club link and was just curious if there is a certain model you would recommend. I have 55g and a 29g saltwater setups. Also where can I get the filters when replacement is needed. Thanks for the help!

You can get the filters from their website Naturally Pure Alternatives - Pure Air, Water, Alkaline Water, Health Products they cost me about $30. I got the portable unit, its about $65 adn comes with your choice of attachment device. i went with a garden hose adaptor as I make my water out back. I believe it's a 100gpd or 150gpd system.

I have on average 4 or 5 sw tanks up at any given time and that unit was fine for my needs. It should be good for you too.

You can do that, it will work. I happen to have 5g jugs which is nice and easy. What I used to do is lend my unit to my girlfriend for a few days instead of hauling water to her. :)

Thanks so much for the advice! Really appreciate everyone's insight and knowledge on this site.

Back
Top Bottom