im new to this and have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelam975

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 55 gallon tank ..used..and it already has the filters with it ..they are aqua tech 20-40 filters and i have 2 of them. my problem is that the extension tubes are not long enough..does anyone know where i could get some of these?

The intake tubes are not long enough? I would look online at the aquatech website, and see if they sell replacement parts for them. :)

yeah..you know, the things that run from the filter that goes down to the gravel to suck up dirt..and i have tried to find an aquatech website with no luck.

Sounds like you are talking about an under gravel filter. The tubes for the aqua tech 20-40 filters are meant to be below the water line, but in the gravel. You need a gravel cleaner to clean the gravel.

Oh, and. . .

welcometoaa.gif

no im not talking about an underground filter..im talking about the ones that hang on the back of the tank and have the tubes and strainer in the water..i always thought they were susposed to be an inch from the gravel..is that not right?

They don't have to be. Well into the water is best so fluctuating water levels don't affect the intakes but as long as that's not an issue, you're fine.

Remember that you need about an inch or more of substrate in the tank. :)

Most of the HOB filters go down about 6" or so into the water column. It appears that WalMart carries that brand, so perhaps they have parts too.

You might just have to buy a new filter. I looked online also, and could not find replacement parts for the AquaTech filters, only the filter media.

If you really want the intake to go down further, and I don't know why, slip an appropriate sized piece of plastic tubing over it and extend it. The intake only has to go down a few inches. It really doesn't matter from where the water to be filtered is coming from, top, bottom or middle.

Well if you checked at WalMart you would see that the tubes are not designed to go all the the way to the bottom. The tube just goes down a few inched into the water, which is all that's required.

Back
Top Bottom