Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
I'm sort of stumped.

I have a 20g long sump under my 75g. I want to take it out to replace it with (2) 10g tanks, One only for a fuge and the other for a skimmer/heater/etc. They will be connected together (probably going to drill one of them). The problem is I can't get the 20g out from under neith my stand! The doors are too small, and the back of the stand is against the wall. I can't really drain the tank (no place to store the water). Does anyone have any ideas? There's a center support brace type of thing between the doors but I have a feeling its a load-bearing piece.

75G FOWLR Build

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some type of temporary bracing will be needed. Check out Melevsreef, I think there are pics there.

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The center brace is load bearing. You will need to brace the tank if you remove that, even if temporary. <And it would be safer to drain down the tank, even part way while you are doing stand mod.> Perhaps a 2x4 frame with one leg inside the stand behind the sump, and a long enough 2x4 cross piece sticking out the front to give you room to work, then brace the cross piece to the floor with another 2x4. The problem is getting that back leg behind the sump, it may be impossible if you don't have some room on top of the sump.

Another possibility is to take it out the side (skinny way). If the side panel is easily removable, it would be simple to slide the sump out sideways. <Some DIY plans have removable side panel just for that.>
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
if worst comes to worst, if you can maneuver yourself into the right position, you could use a utility knife and disassemble the 20 long then just take it out piece by piece.
thetonyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I wouldnt take apart the stand with the full tank on top of it. It is way to heavy. I would break to 20 gal tank and take it out that way rather than risk a HUGE mess.
sgc0286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
maybe one of the end panels can be removed?

Hydrocephalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com