Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Angry I'm throwing it out the window

I bought a Marineland Penguin 100B filter today. Installed around noon, almost twelve hours later and I want to throw it out the window. This filter is SUPER noisy. It's a mechanical noise that is so loud it is heard over television, or everyday conversation including phone calls. I've taken apart the filter, the impeller, everything. Nothing makes a difference. Did I get a defective filter system? Are these filters normal this loud? How can I make it stop?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Aly

Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try to exchange it and see if its just defective. If not go with a different brand.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I can't exchange until tomorrow. Do you think it'll be alright without a filter overnight? I'm a fish newbie. I've got two goldfish in a 10gal aquarium.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got the same filter on my main tank, and a quarantine tank. Quiet as quiet can be. Can you describe the noise you're hearing, and where it's coming from. Picture of the setup, maybe? Maybe we can help. Granted... there's always defective units, but I can't think of anything on this thing that would make it loud if it wasn't working right. It either pumps water, or it doesn't. Is it pumping water and is the biowheel spinning?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmortis View Post
I bought a Marineland Penguin 100B filter today. Installed around noon, almost twelve hours later and I want to throw it out the window. This filter is SUPER noisy. It's a mechanical noise that is so loud it is heard over television, or everyday conversation including phone calls. I've taken apart the filter, the impeller, everything. Nothing makes a difference. Did I get a defective filter system? Are these filters normal this loud? How can I make it stop?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Aly
I've got 3 Penguin Bio-wheel filters (a 200B and 2 350B's). They're not that loud to me at all. In fact, I like to sit in the room with my tanks and listen to music with no problems at all. The only thing I can think of is that your bio-wheel might not be installed correctly. Also, they move a lot of water, especially compared to some of the cheaper filters. If you have a low water level, the splashing they create will cause more noise.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

These filters always run great for me too, until you send sand through their system and then they become **** on earth, just like any other filter.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's pumping water, the biowheel is spinning. The noise is loud, mechanical (sounds like a whirring/vibrating noise).
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The turbine thing at the bottom of the intake tube that sucks the water in is probably bent just a little bit. You can try to bend it back into place if that's it but be careful.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My boyfriend and I just took the whole thing apart again and nothing LOOKS wrong. No parts are bent. And everything looks like the diagram
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that may be the price you pay for a good filter. Just like a car with a lot of horsepower is loud, so is a pump that is moving a lot of water. I don't know if you'll find a good filter (at least one that is good for the tank and fish) that will be completely noise free. I also have a TopFin Power 30 filter that I can't hear at all. But it's probably the worst filter I own. Compared side to side, it's easy to see that the Penguin is much better at moving water than the TopFin. And, when all is said and done, that's what you want your filter to do - move water.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com