Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Impossible to get tank level

Hey guys. So my tank has been moved into various spots of my apartment because my floors are extremely unlevel. We (my brother and I) actually have what we like to call a speedbump right next to our kitchen-it's that unlevel, haha. A few weeks ago I finally moved my tank and stand into my bedroom and messed with the stand a bit by using thick pieces of cardboard (always worked for me in the past). If we try to level it one way, it gets unlevel another way. It's a constant effort, and it seriously seems like this tank is impossible to get level without some serious engineering. The tank, though, is not THAT unlevel. For instance: if I fill the tank up to the lip, water hits the trim at these areas, while the rest of the water is just missing the trim:

RIGHT-front
FRONT-right
LEFT-back
sort of BACK-left

What should I do? I'm worried that this constant uneven pressure will cause my tank to burst, regardless of the fact that the unlevel parts are only a fraction off from being level (with the small exception of the back of the tank which may be an issue). I guess we need to put more effort into leveling it up, but it is extremely difficult, since as I stated, moving it a tiny bit in one corner results in it being far off in another corner. It's like the tank is on a wave of the floor! I'll come back with a picture to show you. I know it seems silly, or like we're just stupid in terms of knowing how to level things, but we've tried every combination of height and every position. We do this with the tank on the stand when it's half empty and it's not heavy at all. Do you think the middle of the stand is resting on an unlevel part of the floor?

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

you know, from what I can see in the pics it's not that bad. My 125 is more off-level than that.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really? That's great to know. If you think that it won't be an issue, then awesome!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

FWIW, I leak tested my 10g rimless in a bathtub... It was about 3/4" from being level on one end. as full as it would get on the other. You're talking what, 1/8" off? I don't think it'll cause an issue

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had that same problem with my 37g tall and was able to get it level using wood shims. The carpet and pad on top of an unlevel floor made it a pain, so I put a piece of 3/4" plywood down (cut to fit the stands foot print) which made it easier.

IMO if it's off an 1/8" or less on smaller tanks it should be fine, but with bigger tanks I'd be concerned about silicone failure too.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, thanks for the responses, guys. Better safe than sorry! Different people need to start answering my threads because it won't let me give rep to you guys anymore
Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, I have a 26 gallon bow that is so unlevel on carpet that when I'm refilling the tank - the front left water level will reach the "top black" when the back right corner still has about 1/2 inch of airspace left.

What I've seen generally from discussions on aquariums being level is that the level of the setup is not so important as the fact that the aquarium itself sits evenly on the stand. Because if the aquarium is not pressing evenly on all edges of the stand - that can cause point-stresses on the joints of the aquarium which can lead to an early demise.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vircomore View Post
Yea, I have a 26 gallon bow that is so unlevel on carpet that when I'm refilling the tank - the front left water level will reach the "top black" when the back right corner still has about 1/2 inch of airspace left.

What I've seen generally from discussions on aquariums being level is that the level of the setup is not so important as the fact that the aquarium itself sits evenly on the stand. Because if the aquarium is not pressing evenly on all edges of the stand - that can cause point-stresses on the joints of the aquarium which can lead to an early demise.
What kind of stands would people have where it doesn't sit level on the stand itself?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Someone here posted a picture of an acrylic tank that was so warped it wouldn't sit flat on the stand, even when filled.

I don't see any mention of shims. You can put shims under the stand to make the tank level.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com