In case of an emergency: power outage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55tanker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is it called where when the power goes out, the machine kicks in? Is there such a thing? I'm wondering if there's something to plug everything into the machine and that machine is plugged into the wall outlet so it can detect power outtage. So when I'm not at home, and the power goes out, everything that's hooked up to that outlet strip to the machine still gets electricity because that machine will now kick in because it detected that the power is out.

So a generator that is for indoor use, but it turns on automatically. I typed in backup generator and standby generator but it's like 5+ grand and it's to be permanently set up outdoor and powers the house in a blackout so that's not what I'm looking for. There must be a name for what I'm looking for that I can't think of. I just need a small basic portable one that powers a shop light, water filter, and heater/fan. At least the filter and heater or fan, the fish can survive without light.

I feel like I'm going to be made fun of for this post. I honestly don't know anything about this and hopefully be responded by nice helpful people.

Where I live, it can get 90+ and below 0 degree and the power goes out about half a dozen to a dozen times a year. It usually lasts a couple of hours which the fish would be fine but I'm worried one day it'll last longer than a day, maybe during a snowstorm. This past month the power have went out twice. One during a heavy thunderstorm and this past week due to the extreme heat.

I just realized I live in mother nature wrath zone of all elements. Hah.

Maybe a backup power supply like for computers . Would still be pricey , but worth a shot .

Hey, we have the same situation with the 55 gallon tank! I'm about to start mine up as well, once I get a stand.
Anyway, is this machine waterproof? Let's just call it a generator from now on.

I have one of these for my router, modem, telephone etc. It plugs into an outlet and has a built in battery. The issue is it isn't waterproof so you can't just put it by your fish tank...

There are a couple of ways. Some make their own battery backup while others buy them.
There are also generators that have kept systems afloat for long periods of time.
You can also use battery powered pumps until the power comes back on. They are used for minnows. This is the bare minimum you need to keep a system going until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have one of these for my router, modem, telephone etc. It plugs into an outlet and has a built in battery. The issue is it isn't waterproof so you can't just put it by your fish tank...

What is what yours called? Sounds like what I'm looking for. Link to buy page?

Sent from my XT1049 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Let's just call it a generator from now on.
When I google or amazon search generator, it shows gas generated ones that are used outside or ones where you have to set it up. So that's why I'm asking if there's a more specific name for what I'm looking for to make searching for the one that stays plugged in and comes on automatically when power is out.

Maybe a backup power supply like for computers . Would still be pricey , but worth a shot .

Yeah! That's what I'm looking for and was trying to describe poorly. I'll look into that!

They're called backup UPS (Universal Power Source). You can find decent ones online. I googled them and there are a range of prices. Be mindful that you want to make sure that whichever one you purchase can carry the wattage you're using for the desired length of time. :) (Geek had to reply. ;) ) Also, some power strips automatically come with a UPS as well, to cover in the event the power goes out. Just food for thought. :)

I keep a small 2 horse generator handy just to run the tanks it pushes up to 700 watts perfect to keep all my pumps and lighting going .

I bought one of these a few years back best little investment I made , and it was less than a 100 bucks .
image_25079.jpg

I tried one of those computer back ups but they are only good for a really short outage
I get about 14 hrs on a tank when under a full load ,

I keep a small 2 horse generator handy just to run the tanks it pushes up to 700 watts perfect to keep all my pumps and lighting going .

I bought one of these a few years back best little investment I made , and it was less than a 100 bucks .
image_25079.jpg

I tried one of those computer back ups but they are only good for a really short outage
I get about 14 hrs on a tank when under a full load ,

Since it use gas, does it need to be set outdoor?

A ups system is designed so you can save your work in the event of a power outage and shut the computer down. Also most of them use ni-cad cells which degrade over time without being charged and discharged. Lithium cells are getting much cheaper now days but they re still expensive in comparison. Ie 5$ a cell for refurbished 4v cells. The problem is going to be in finding a fairly priced Lipo or lithium ion ups system. A backup genie for the house may not be such a bad investment.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A ups system is designed so you can save your work in the event of a power outage and shut the computer down. Also most of them use ni-cad cells which degrade over time without being charged and discharged. Lithium cells are getting much cheaper now days but they re still expensive in comparison. Ie 5$ a cell for refurbished 4v cells. The problem is going to be in finding a fairly priced Lipo or lithium ion ups system. A backup genie for the house may not be such a bad investment.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Just get a bunch of 18650's

Since it use gas, does it need to be set outdoor?

yes it needs ventilation , you would run a extension cord , that generator will run 24 hrs on a 1g tank of gas.

looking at those computer backup batteries what do you do if your outage is longer than 4 hrs as that's what they are rated for .

I always depended on generators during power failures as I've encountered outages in my life time from 15 min to a month so I like to be prepared
I have been through back to back hurricanes that we lost power over a month back in the late 90's . my home was powered as everyone else wasn't I was able to keep the whole house powered on 3 generators , running ac fish tanks tv fridge ect

Back
Top Bottom