In Continuing the "AquaClear Flow Control" Debate/Discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not only am I reeling from the death of our beloved Black/Gold Moor yesterday, but I finally got a greatly delayed response from Hagen regarding the "flow control" debate we were having here and how their AquaClear filters perform with this function...based on this, seems I'm back to square one with trying to figure out exactly where the flow control "valve stem" should sit -- on maximum or minimum...

Here was the reply:

I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. There is definitely a difference in the water flow when placed in the Low position. If you were to look into the filter over the motor you would see that a good portion of the intake opening has been closed, resulting in a lesser flow rate. The unit is designed to be used either way, one way does not necessarily mean better filtration. That debate has been going on for years. The media set up you describe for your tank is what we would recommend. Bio max is made for every filter we manufacture and it comes in a variety of shapes and sized but it all serves the same purpose. I hope this information is of assistance to you.
Noralynn Naughton, Customer Service

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

There simply is no right answer so why ask the question, her reponse makes that crystal clear... It's designed to be used in either position. Adjust the flow based on your fish not the effects of filtration as it doesn't matter. The benefical bactiera colony is only as big as the source...plain and simple.

I think a better question that needs to be addressed is "why doesn't super glue stick to the inside of the bottle"?

Last edited:
Higher flow rates....

The rate at which particulates are filtered from the water column would increase. The more water passed through the filter the quicker the particles should be removed from the tank. What is the time difference? I don't know but for my viewing pleasure the quicker particles are removed the better. Also the faster the water flow the more likely you will keep particles suspended in the water column and larger particles suspended. Suspended particles in the water column equal being filtered from the tank and thus decreasing the accumulation of detritus on your substrate.

From what I understand, for this brand of filter in either position (MIN/MAX) the same amount of water will pass through the filter media. The only difference is the amount of "new" water that will be mixed with it. At the maximum setting, 100% of the water passing through the media should be new.
As for the amount of ammonia that the filter will process as it relates to the position of the flow control, I think it will be equal either way. With the max setting, you get more water (and more ammonia) passing through the filter, however, since it only passes through once, the contact time with the media is limited. Conversely, on the min setting, you have less water passing through, but increased contact time since the water may pass through the fitter several times before exiting.
Like HUKIT said, use it for the fish's particular needs or in certain circumstances (e.g. Decrease flow during feeding to minimize food intake into the filter).

Thank you, both...

But the thing is, on MY particular 110 model, the MINIMUM setting doesn't really "reduce" the forceful flow all that much...it DEFINITELY does NOT reduce the output to a "trickle" like many have reported here...

I have been leaving it towards the minimum side, perhaps off a little, with the thinking that the max position is just too forceful for the goldies; I just want to be sure the water is being filtered correctly...

Thank you, both...

But the thing is, on MY particular 110 model, the MINIMUM setting doesn't really "reduce" the forceful flow all that much...it DEFINITELY does NOT reduce the output to a "trickle" like many have reported here...

I have been leaving it towards the minimum side, perhaps off a little, with the thinking that the max position is just too forceful for the goldies; I just want to be sure the water is being filtered correctly...

Sounds like you just got a very quick flowing unit regardless of it's setting.
Sorry about your Black Moor:(.

BUT on a lighter note ... I just went to Itgens (those members who live in the Valley Stream area of L.I. can relate) the other day for the second time ever:dance:. Didn't know it had a back room:eek:.

I think a better question that needs to be addressed is "why doesn't super glue stick to the inside of the bottle"?

My apologies to the OP .. not meaning to high jack the thread but the question was asked.:D

Why Doesn't Glue Stick to the Inside of a Bottle? | eHow

Superglue
Superglue, such as Krazy Glue, works slightly differently. It's made of a chemical called ethyl cyanoacrylate. This reacts with water vapor in the air to form an adhesive bond, via chemical adhesion.

No matter how dry it is where you live, there's some water vapor in the air. That's why superglue tends to dry out more quickly in its container than white glue does---it's hard to reclose the container tightly enough to prevent water vapor from seeping in. But in a never-opened container (or a well-closed one), even superglue will remain in its liquid form and won't stick to the inside of the container, as long as it's protected from its nemesis: water.

Read more: Why Doesn't Glue Stick to the Inside of a Bottle? | eHow Why Doesn't Glue Stick to the Inside of a Bottle? | eHow

Sounds like you just got a very quick flowing unit regardless of it's setting.

That's great; but what do I do about it...and is this normal for the Hagens?

Sorry about your Black Moor:(.

Thank you...

BUT on a lighter note ... I just went to Itgens (those members who live in the Valley Stream area of L.I. can relate) the other day for the second time ever:dance:. Didn't know it had a back room:eek:.

Are there many members from LI -- specifically the Valley Stream region -- on here?

Oh yeah -- Itchgens (is that how they spell it? All I know is it was across the street from Anconas...) has a back room and I watched a friend of mine back there once down the "Titanic" I think it was called, with something like 12 scoops...

I LOVE their ice cream and really miss that place...

Are Friendly's still operating there?

My apologies to the OP .. not meaning to high jack the thread but the question was asked.:D

Why Doesn't Glue Stick to the Inside of a Bottle? | eHow

Superglue
Superglue, such as Krazy Glue, works slightly differently. It's made of a chemical called ethyl cyanoacrylate. This reacts with water vapor in the air to form an adhesive bond, via chemical adhesion.

No matter how dry it is where you live, there's some water vapor in the air. That's why superglue tends to dry out more quickly in its container than white glue does---it's hard to reclose the container tightly enough to prevent water vapor from seeping in. But in a never-opened container (or a well-closed one), even superglue will remain in its liquid form and won't stick to the inside of the container, as long as it's protected from its nemesis: water.

Read more: Why Doesn't Glue Stick to the Inside of a Bottle? | eHow Why Doesn't Glue Stick to the Inside of a Bottle? | eHow

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I don't understand...he was trying to derail the thread with strange questions about glue and you indulged this? :blink:

BUT on a lighter note ... I just went to Itgens (those members who live in the Valley Stream area of L.I. can relate) the other day for the second time ever:dance:. Didn't know it had a back room:eek:.[/QUOTE said:
If been there love the Place work for the LIRR so when i am in the area i try to stop in but whats in the back room ???

If been there love the Place work for the LIRR so when i am in the area i try to stop in but whats in the back room ???

Haha.. Nothing. just another space with tables and chairs.

Let's make this the last post on this thread concerning itgens. Don't want a Mod to have to delete posts not relevant to the OP's initial concern. I only mentioned it as the OP is familiar with the Valley-stream area and I wanted to lighten the mood considering the goldfish loss.

Back
Top Bottom