In-line Co2 diffuser/reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone recommend a good in-line diffuser?
I am running a Aquatop CF-500 canister filter with 3/4 inch tubing.
Something that wont break the bank?IMG_0116.jpg

My ista MaxMix reactor is AMAZING. It fully diffuses near 20 bps into 500gph. Was only $30 or so from azamon. I'm blown away by this product. All others caused too much "fizz" in my tank. The fractionating impeller combined with long bubble tap column is super effective. Easy to run in line.

...and easy for your 3/4 tubing with adapters (don't use the elbow fittings)

...and easy for your 3/4 tubing with adapters (don't use the elbow fittings)

Awesome. I will check it out.
Thank you.
Im running my line into my intake tube right now. I read a lot of people say they run it that way without a reactor and the filter diffused the gas. It seems to be working. Im probably just paranoid.

I initially had it hooked up to a reactor. It was on a separate pump... an in tank pump. That with the tubing and all my other gear was just too much. My plants are blowing up but I just couldn't take all that mess. So I drilled a hole in my intake tube and popped the gas line in.
It should be good enough I imagine, but I don't know squat, so I'm overthinking it as usual.

I made an adaptor for a paintball co2 canister to a fluval pressure valve and ran the line directly into the base of my return line with a small rubber grommet. Just put an "atomizer" air stone at the end of it inside the return line and it works amazingly

I've always heard that you will be losing co2 in filter media (carbon, purigen, renew, etc) if you inject to canister intake. Loss may not be significant enough for you though.

I've always heard that you will be losing co2 in filter media (carbon, purigen, renew, etc) if you inject to canister intake. Loss may not be significant enough for you though.

I never heard of that before. I have heard that the Co2 with kill the bacteria in your filters but that argument doesn't make sense as the water passes through so quickly I can see how it would harm the bacteria. Unless I was running the bottle wide open.

You are correct. If you run the co2 through your INTAKE the carbon in the filter will absorb the carbon just as it absorbs other toxins. It is actually recommended to remove the carbon from the filtration when running co2, so long as the other media has had adequate time for beneficial bacteria to generate.

That being said, I have my co2 injecting into the RETURN line. I tried posting a picture but it will only post as an attachment, I hope you can see it. It is then fed through the spray bar and inject straight downward with the flow so it takes long for the bubbles to reach the surface. This allows more of the carbon to be absorbed into the water.

Image1491154409.421694.jpg

You are correct. If you run the co2 through your INTAKE the carbon in the filter will absorb the carbon just as it absorbs other toxins. It is actually recommended to remove the carbon from the filtration when running co2, so long as the other media has had adequate time for beneficial bacteria to generate.

That being said, I have my co2 injecting into the RETURN line. I tried posting a picture but it will only post as an attachment, I hope you can see it. It is then fed through the spray bar and inject straight downward with the flow so it takes long for the bubbles to reach the surface. This allows more of the carbon to be absorbed into the water.

View attachment 297248
That's the coolest piping I've ever seen!

Back
Top Bottom