In-line heater viable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhYou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I currently have a 75 gallon tank using an Eheim jager 300w heater, but I think it's not quite enough for the tank. I get daily swings of about 2 degrees(max), which I am guessing is due to living in a cold climate and not keeping my house at 70 degrees 24/7. I found a Hydor heater that is 300w but just don't know if an in-line would work "better" somehow at keeping my temperature more constant. I guess the other option I have is adding another heater in the tank, but the Eheim I have now is huge and an eyesore and I would love to get it out of the tank completely.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

I've got a 55 gallon and I decided to put 2 250 heaters on both ends of the tank and it seems to be working for me. I don't think the brand really matters as long as they work. I also have cold winters where I live but this year really hasn't been too cold other than a week this month where temps were in the 20'a and high teens. My thoughts are try 2 and see how you like it.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear, but I am really just asking if in-line heaters are somehow more efficient at heating the water than submersibles.

Yeah in line heaters I don't know much about since stores near me don't carry them cuz I've never seen them before. I'm sorry that I wasted your time with that. The only thing I could tell you is look online and see what everyone is saying about them. I wish you the best of luck on that.

i have that same exact model your looking in to works fine and my house is up and down in temps....
if you want to try it go for it and if you dont feel its getting right keep your heater that is the tank..
As for temps i can do a water change and be off and not have to worry to much about it cause it will catch up with in the hour or so

I used to run 2 x hydor unlined on on each filter

They are very good and mover the warmer water about better than a normal heater

Just make sure you have 16-22 mm hose on the return pipe of you filter or it won't fit

I have a hydor inline heater and love it, I have a column type aquarium with a hob skimmer, two powerheads and a canister filter so back glass real estate is at a premium, I just attached the inline heater to my filter intake hose and haven't looked back, it would probably be more efficient on the return hose but it still works fine, I have the 300w 5/8's model.

I have a hydor inline heater and love it, I have a column type aquarium with a hob skimmer, two powerheads and a canister filter so back glass real estate is at a premium, I just attached the inline heater to my filter intake hose and haven't looked back, it would probably be more efficient on the return hose but it still works fine, I have the 300w 5/8's model.

They need to be hooked up to the filter return pipe not the intake pipe for 2 reasons

1. All the dirt will get trapped in the heater
2. On the filter intake pipe will hear and boil your external filter

Didn't you read the instructions lol

Alright thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll just try one out and if I need to add a smaller submersible later on I will.

Back
Top Bottom