In line pump for a 125?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to scrap these crappy HOB filters and get a nice quiet, not so ugly filter system for my new 125 gallon.

I've canceled the idea of a canister filter, due to filtering capacity and price. They simply don't move enough water.

So i've decided to go with a filter set up using an inline pump and different filter mechanisms.

What are the good filters out there? I've heard that Little Giants are very good, quiet, and reliable. My LFS owner says he's had great results using them.

I was looking at QuietOne pumps, they seem to be a lot cheeper than the little giants.

Whats the best inline pump for the dollar? I'd like it to be as quiet as possible but don't want to sacrifice longevity. I'm looking for about 1000hpg, i figure with the filter resistance that will give me a good 7x turnover for the 125g tank.

What do you guys think?

As far as inline water pumps go I use a Gen-X 40 and it seems to work very well and is quiet.

I have that pumping water into an Ocean Clear canister filter and it also work great.

Soon I will be getting a second Ocean Clear with a UV Strilizer on it to put inline with the other one.

I cant rememmber the exact price of the Gen-X but it was a little over $100.

I like Blueline pumps better than anything else I've tried. They are quiet, powerful, come with a good warranty, and aren't too expensive as compared to other brands. If you want 1000gph, I'd look at the 55HD. It's rated 1100gph and is pressure rated so you can run it with a large canister such as the Ocean Clear. JMHO.

Having never tried a Gen X pump, I can't offer an opinion on them. If Oscarbreeder is having good luck with them, then I expect they are good equipment. However, in most cases, I have found that you get what you pay for when buying any type of aquarium equipment. You can get a Blueline BL-1100, which is pressure rated and carries an 18 month warranty for $129.99 or the higher quality 55 HD for $219.99. Little Giant also makes a good pump as does Iwaki. I would research them all and buy the best quality pump I could afford. You will get your money back in longevity and quiet operation. JMHO :mrgreen: .

I agree with loganj.
Those smaller pumps just look like they are made cheap and like loganj said "you get what you pay for".

But you know better then we do what you can afford so do a little research and get the best bang for your buck.

I have heard alot of good things about the mag drives and the Mag Drive 9.5 will give you 950gph at $69.99 from www.petsolutions.com

The Magdrive is looking very attractive right about now. 950gph will be sufficient, correct? I also have a 350gph powerhead for circulation. I'd like to add Bio wheels to the filter set up too...

Thanks for all the help so far!

Ordered the Mag Drive 9.5

I'll try and get some pictures of the set up once its done!

I'd like to set up a diverter valve for vacuuming the gravel also.

Back
Top Bottom