Incandescent v. Fluorescent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredyyanez

Aquarium Advice Regular
See the differce?

Attachments

• image-1583085939.jpg
    image-1583085939.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 74
See the differce?

No, unless I'm just not seeing this right -- are they both lighting the aquarium at the same time as a comparison? If so, is the fluorescent the brighter of the two?

I have been using a fluorescent strip light over my 60 gallon since it's been set up, but I think at times it simply looks too "cold" and sterile; I have been thinking of switching to incandescent for that more "natural" underwater look, even though my decor is artificial and doesn't really warrant that kind of lighting (no natural rocks, driftwood, plants, etc.)...

There is nothing natural about the look of incandescent lighting. It is very yellow and nothing like natural light. With flourescent lighting there is a wide variety of lamp types that emulate natural light, such as the 5000K lights whih are very close to natural sunshine in colour temp. The 6500K daylight lamps are already trending towards blue, and more closely emulate early morning or late afternoon light. On top of this, there is the CRI, Clour Rendition Index to consider, which will tell you how well a lamp will render colour. The closer to 100 that number is the better it will render colour.

Well, what I meant by "more natural looking" with regard to incandescent is that it's always seemed "warmer" to me than standard fluorescent lighting, which, in my strip housing anyway, appears to be cold and sterile.

Back
Top Bottom