Increasing water flow without a closed loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOLPH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just finished installing a closed loop and found that the mag 24 pump I'm using is just too loud. There is no way I can live with this noise. I have to turn my television almost all the way up to hear it. And to think it has only be running for a little over 1/2 hour. Now I'm looking for advice on other means of creating as much flow in the tank as possible. I'm looking for recommendations on powerheads and other equipment I could use (please provide brands, models, etc)? I'm giving up the idea of of a closed loop altogether. The pipes are in the back going over the top of the tank. The tank will be as close to the wall as possible making servicing it extremely difficult. AARGH the noise!

1st...how did you do your closed loop? Did you put a SCWD on it? IF so you know they are rated for a max of 1400gph...2nd...Did you prime the system? The noise I would say is from air in the lines. 3rd...what is the pump sitting on? You may want to put it on some rubber mat or something...a thick mouse pad is what I have used.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_searchitem.asp

As for other options I have these and LOVE them they are virtually silent (other then initial startup a second of noise) they create a large swath of flow and are easily positioned anywhere in the tank!!

HTH

P.S. You can send me that noisey Mag 24 ;)

I modeled the closed loop on melevsreef.com though i didn't add the scwd as it would have impeded the gph I intended to reach. The system was primed as outlined on melevsreef.com and the pump comes with a stick on pad. It didn't help so I sat the pump on a mouse pad to no avail.

The link you provided is to a search page at marine depot. What is it intended to display?

IMO the Mag 24 was a little overkill for a 125 gal tank. With your 40 gal sump and 1200 gph total overflows in combination with a 800-1200 gph closed loop would have provided a decent 16-18 times turnover on your tank without power heads unless you need high flow for sps corals.

I barely hear my Mag 9.5 but there are quieter pumps on the market.

Since you went through the trouble of plumbing a closed loop why not use a quieter pump like the Ocean Runner 6500 or Blueline HD pump?

If you still want to use power heads and abandon the closed loop then following would be good options:

Seio Super Pump (cheap and low watts but should not be put on a controller)
Hydor Koralia
Tunze Turbelle (more expensive but considered "the best" by many and can be put on a controller)

Ziggy, that link just goes to their search page. What is the product you are linking?

That's it. I need high flow. I have the mag 18 on the sump and it is not too loud. The 24 is. I've invested a lot of time in the closed loop. At this point I want to get my tank up and running. Also, the tank will be placed against the wall and the pipes run in the back of the tank. I have to think about servicing the pump and the pipes. It won't be easy.

sorry about that!! Go to marine depot and search for Nano Stream...it is a Tunze product..awesome pump...they now have the 1189gph model available for under $100....

Another question. I believe the model you're referring to is the Nano stream 6045. The ad states "For aquariums from 26-53gal". I have a 125g tank. Does this mean I cannot use this product? What does the statement mean?

You can still use it but the "recommended" tank range is due to the gph it puts out and keep in mind that products like the Tunze, Seio, and Hydor Koralia all put out wider streams of flow versus concentrated streams like the Maxi-Jet ph do for example.

Because of this wider flow IME a higher then usually gph pump should be used. If interested in the Tunze pumps (and you don't mind spending the money) then a Tunze Turbelle Stream Kit would be an excellent choice for your tank. They include pumps and the controller to create random currents that more simulate nature.

The Tunze Turbelle Nanostream power heads can also be controlled but typically are best for tanks <100 gal.

The higher gph Seio pumps can also be put on a controller.

The Hydor Koralia power heads don't have a controller yet and are best not turned on/off. (Full review with videos)

Really it just depends on what you are looking for (wave/steady flow) and how much money you want to spend.

That is true Tecwzrd...I decided to go with these kinds of pumps because they generate less heat, move a wider swath of water, and use much much less power then regular pumps and PHs. I now have 3 Nano Stream 6025 on my 72g Bow along with my closed loop SCWD. I removed 4 PHs and have better flow then before. As you stated it does all depend on what you are looking for. And FWIW...you can use these pumps onjust about any sized tank...their effectiveness varies based on the size of the tank but I love the product!!

Back
Top Bottom