well..lol, the difference was I knew this one was coming. I did a PWC
the day before it hit. Whatever you do...do not feed during the outage. This will keep the ammonia down. I use a HOB
50 on both my 20 and 10 gal
reefs (even more impressive since small systems can go south fast - patting self on back, lol). Float your bio media, if any, in the tank during the outage. This will preserve the bacteria. Also...if off for more than 36 hours or so, I'd replace the carbon and mechanical media, if any. This just lowers the chance of anaerobic (dead) bacteria from flooding the tank when you turn it back on. This may kill your livestock, so don't forget that step. But, you'll be happy to know, the day the power came back on I had o ppm
of ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. So what I did worked for me. Don't worry about not feeding the fish. They eat every day out of a survival instinct, but can easily go a week or so without eating w/o doing any harm to them. The little battery bubblers are a lifesaver. They automatically come on when the power is lost, so you don't have to be there when it happens. This may be the difference between life and death!