inexpensive tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 20 long. I want to size up to a 55 gallon once my angel fish get a little bigger. So - is the lfs the cheapest place to get tanks? What are some websites people order from that have relatively inexpensive fish tanks and stands. Also, even if the websites are cheaper, with the cost of shipping added, would the lfs be a better bet? 8O

I would recommend checking with the local aquarium society to see if they have anyone listing tanks for sale. Also the newspaper classified can lead to some great deals on used tanks. Garage sales can be another place to find tanks. If you want new shop around to the lfs's and get specs and pricing, also check walmart to see what their tanks are like.

im not sure, i got my 55 gallon at walmart for $150 with stand, filter, and heater and lights, im not sure about online.

you can get one for like 75ish at petsmart without the stand filter etc. i think it comes with a 40 watt hood though

Are there any brands I should avoid? Or does it not really matter?

Yao said:
Are there any brands I should avoid? Or does it not really matter?

no not really.. most are pretty much the same as the others..

I would really advise used.. just make sure your getting the most bang for you buck.. that would be as many gallons for your $ as possible. I would avoid tall tanks as well (over 20 inches tall).. not as much surfase area for gas exchange, harder to get light to penitrate and such other issues.. HTH

cool. Also do fish tanks usually hold up really well? I think I'm going to try to buy used but the only thing I'm worried about is having a leak...
Also just out of curiosity, besides the obvious, what's the difference between glass and acrylic tanks? I know acrylic ones are lighter, other than that as far as breakage and leakage and what people mostly prefer?

Acrylic tanks are easier to scratch. You have to be careful to use algae scrapers, etc. that are made specifically for acrylic. I have one acrylic tank and the rest are glass. The acrylic tank is a 5 gallon hex while the rest are rectangular and larger.

glass fishtanks hold up for 50 years or better with proper care.. thats why I advise used.
If one leaks silicone is cheap and not hard to use..

Back
Top Bottom