Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
info on digital thermometer

I just bought this digital one and not working very well it jumps from 74.8 to 75.4d in my tank plus the power botton you press and press and it turns on and off when it wants. anyone else has this model? did i just get a bad one or are they that cheap costructed?

I thank you all for your attention and time!
75g/Rena Xp3/Inline Heater/Rena Air 200/Eco-Complete/Current Dual Daylight System
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I wouldn't expect much from a precision instrument that sells for $6.99, on sale for $4.99.

I've used a couple of different digital thermometers in my lab, and I still trust the old-fashioned analog mercury ones most.

Many digitherms have a line inscribed on the metal probe. If you don't immerse the probe to this line, the readings are screwy...if you immerse the insulated part of the wire, the readings are screwy. Also, take readings in different parts of the tank - maybe you're measuring a cool deadspot that is being affected by warmer eddies of water from the filter flow.

Also, even with the expensive models, the equilibration time need to get a stable reading can be as long as a minute. You may simply have to keep it there for some time. The manual might say something about response time.

What is the instrument's precision, or accuracy? The instruction manual should say something like +/- 0.1 degrees F.

As far as it going on and off, is the battery seated well, and is the battery compartment door securely closed? I've had this problem with battery-operated timers, and solved it by taking out and replacing the battery. HTH

QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I have 9 of that exact digital thermometer, although in Canada not that cheap! LOL, Never had that problem. They are all very accurate and don't jump around at all. I would check the battery as suggested.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 7 of the Coralife thermometers and have never had problems over the past year and a half. I have never had it turn off on its own. Checking the battery would be a good idea. It may also just be a defective one.
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
i also use that digital thermometer, and have had no problems with it at all--except when i dropped it in the tank once 8O (but it recovered). i believe it to be more accurate than the regular thermometers--i've put 2 in a tank at next to each other and gotten different readings.
don't turn your back on the ocean.
crazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 4 of those units. The second one I bought was broken, half the LCD worked. I had it exchanged. No problems since.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I have those on both my tanks and have not had any problems at all. I would get it exchanged for a new one if it's giving you troubles.

55G Filstar XP3 - 16" Fire Eel
75G Medium Planted - Filstar XP3 Low Light - Established Feb 2006
Lonewolfblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com