Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
!@#$ing filter!

I was doing last minute filter maintainence just now, as I am leaving on a two week vacation tomorrow morning (someone will come in to feed the fish). I unplugged all the equipment while I was doing a water change but when I turned everything back on, the ACMini doesn't turn back on. Theres no sound at all coming out of it. It was working fine the minute before . I have NO backup filters, except for a giant air-pump that doesn't work either. Is there anything I can do? Can I jump-start my filter some how? I got it used so I have no idea how old it is. It looks like its in decent shape. I think the algae in the intake tube was really tiring out the motor, and it just died. Any suggestions? Its 9:14 and the fish stores are closed. The nearest walmart is a 20 minute drive away, and I dont have a car, and my parents are too busy packing to drive me anywhere . What can I do AA?

Old 06-25-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just thought of something, I dont know if this will work, but could I put all the tiger barbs and loaches in with the SA Cichlids? The biggest cichlid I have is the 3" firemouth. My cichlids are VERY mean, and the only reason they dont bother the tetra and shark is because they were there first. Everything I've put in there since them they've killed. I think this is my only option

Old 06-25-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clean the impeller first. If that fails, plug in the filter, take out the intake tube , fill the filter with water, then whack the impeller with a pen/chopstick/whatever to get it moving.

I am also curious as to why you unplug all of your equipment do to a water change :P

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I unplug the stuff because I do large water changes (40%), the water level goes below the intake and the heater.

I'll try cleaning the impeller
Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Grimlock!

It started up again when I gave the impeller a push with a pen. I was so worried
Old 06-25-2004, 12:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It started up again when I gave the impeller a push with a pen.
That's the answer!! My AC150 acts up everytime I do a water change

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine too! In fact, I tried the push the impeller thing and it never worked... ended up gettin a new one.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No need to unplug the filters when doing a water change, just get filter intake extensions. They are like $1.50 and get the intake low enough in the tank so that you do not have to turn off the filter, and they catch more waste.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock3000
No need to unplug the filters when doing a water change, just get filter intake extensions. They are like $1.50 and get the intake low enough in the tank so that you do not have to turn off the filter, and they catch more waste.
Catch more waist. Thats what I need to do. Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 04:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Quote:
That's the answer!! My AC150 acts up everytime I do a water change
Same here, I just push the impeller with something to get it started. It used to be a mystery, it would happen from time to time but sooner or later start again. I was watching a show on the History channel about the old airplanes and was like . The next time it happened I poked the impeller and it worked!

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com