input on wet dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um...does it brush your teeth for you too?

Can't speak for SW folks but on the FW side this is overkill and you could build one yourself for about 1/4 of that price. If SW then it may be worth it.

I want to use it on saltwater and I like the slimline concept biggest thing I'm concerned about is performance and is it worth it
I have a plexi glass sump now that I notched to fit in my stand next to a 20l tank but it leaks
figured this unit because I can put it on 1 side and the auto top off jug on the other and still have room

anyone on the saltwater side have any input about this filter pro's/con's
just want to be sure it will be a good purchase since its not a inexpensive toy to just chuck if it don't work right

I've heard that all the toms products are fairly low quality and cheaply made, I was looking at one of these a while back at a very reputable fish store and the employee helping me said not to waste my money

Imho there is absolutely no reason to put a wet / dry filter on a saltwater tank. The live rock in the tank is there to be the primary source of filtration for the tank. With the minimal bio loads that you need to shoot for on salt water side of things the super effective oxygenated environment of a wet dry is being wasted. Ammonia production should never ever be a problem.

Instead for filtration on salt water you really need to look at anaerobic or oxygen free areas in the tank (again something that live rock provides) If you wanted to add something for extra filtration I would suggest a LARGE canister filter with low flow filled with a large grain pumice (same thing as seachem's de nitrate) or even refugium rubble. This will give you a huge anaerobic area that will help to effectively control nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom