installing inline heater fluval 306?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my first canister filter, and I am running it on my 55 gallon freshwater planted tank. I know one of the benefits of a canister is being able to install an inline heater or uv sterilizer but is that possible with a fluval 306? Maybe I am missing something but I don't see how it would work, mainly where would the powercord go? And how would you keep the heater from touching other equipment in the filter and melting plastic or foam.

Thanks,
Ashley

Inline refers to not in the tank. You connect the heater or uv filter to the hose going to or from your filter. It doesn't actually go inside the filter. With a fluval I believe u need to get another set of connectors to adapt the ribbed hose to a standard connection but it all depends on what kinda of fitting your inline equipment has.

If you have the ribbed hose on your filter like the fx5 forget it you can't add UV or inline heaters to that hose

If its normal smooth hose you just cut the filter return pipe connect the inline heater job done easy

Don't connect it to the filter drain pipe or it will get full of rubbish it has to be the return pipe then its just clean water passing throw it

It does have ribbed tubing. So I am guessing you mean I would have to buy a slender enough heater to fit into the output tubing and it can't work in the ribbed tubing? How does the Heater not melt the plastic tubing? Where does the plug come out? Through the output? Sorry if I sound silly, just trying to picture it in my head.

It does have ribbed tubing. So I am guessing you mean I would have to buy a slender enough heater to fit into the output tubing and it can't work in the ribbed tubing? How does the Heater not melt the plastic tubing? Where does the plug come out? Through the output? Sorry if I sound silly, just trying to picture it in my head.

You can go to a local store (home depot/Lowes) and get some tubing the same size as your current riveted tubing and it will work like a charm with the filter and inline heater :)

This is my first canister filter, and I am running it on my 55 gallon freshwater planted tank. I know one of the benefits of a canister is being able to install an inline heater or uv sterilizer but is that possible with a fluval 306? Maybe I am missing something but I don't see how it would work, mainly where would the powercord go? And how would you keep the heater from touching other equipment in the filter and melting plastic or foam.

Thanks,
Ashley

When you go to choose a uv sterilized this article will help you choose the right one.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

Back
Top Bottom