Instant Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMELO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I just set up a 5.5 gallon. I put a sponge filter from a well established tank along with a brand new sponge filter in there. I’m wondering how long it takes for enough bacteria to migrate into the new sponge so I don’t need the established one in there anymore. I’m also using a half a capful of sachem stability just for good measure.

Instat Tank Cycling

Hello. I just set up a 5.5 gallon. I put a sponge filter from a well established tank along with a brand new sponge filter in there. I’m wondering how long it takes for enough bacteria to migrate into the new sponge so I don’t need the established one in there anymore. I’m also using a half a capful of sachem stability just for good measure.

Hello J...

I would allow the tank to run for a week. You should have a relatively substantial bacteria colony by that time to support a few small fish. You should remove and replace at least a third of the water in the new tank every three to four days for a couple of weeks and then increase the water change to half twice weekly for the life of the tank.

Bottled bacteria isn't much help. It generally leaves the tank with an unstable water chemistry. If you add a few small fish and feed them a little every day or two, they'll provide the nitrogen for the growing bacteria.

B

Ok thanks so much. But yeah I have 2 small fish in there so I should be good on feeding the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom