Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

instead of a python....

has anyone ever tried just using a sump pump to do water changes?

just thinking of how long a 30% PWC takes on my 45 gal.... and now im setting up a 90 gal..... not to mention my water bill will probably double!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

If you accidentally suck up an animal.. it will get shredded by the propeller. You also can't suck up sand(to clean it) with a pump because it will jam or damage the propeller. I would rather use a python because if anything gets sucked up, you can quickly retrieve it.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
If you accidentally suck up an animal.. it will get shredded by the propeller. You also can't suck up sand(to clean it) with a pump because it will jam or damage the propeller. I would rather use a python because if anything gets sucked up, you can quickly retrieve it.
hahahaha! guess i should have thought that one out a lil more... thats what i get for an impulse post... now im thinking modification.... how about some type of pump on the end of the python....?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i just run my python hose out the window to keep down the water costs, because i do a 50% pwc weekly on my 150g, it would cost a fortune to run the faucet the whole time

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
i just run my python hose out the window to keep down the water costs, because i do a 50% pwc weekly on my 150g, it would cost a fortune to run the faucet the whole time

That's what I do on all the tanks but the BW. I don't know if the plants outside would enjoy reef salt. *lol*

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you guys run into problems in the winter?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i dont know about these guys... i wish i could just siphon out a window... but im in a basement apartment..... water doesnt like to siphon up hill...

theres got to be a way i can pump it out... and only use the python to clean gravel and put water back in the tank....
Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Do you guys run into problems in the winter?
no, cause in the winter, i dont open a window, i just stick the hose in the shower and close the door against the hose to keep it from coming out. works just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewz00 View Post
i dont know about these guys... i wish i could just siphon out a window... but im in a basement apartment..... water doesnt like to siphon up hill...

theres got to be a way i can pump it out... and only use the python to clean gravel and put water back in the tank....
see above

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a sunterra pump to do PWC's on 3 of my tanks.

Its a in tank water pump for fountains and what not but the nipple fits the hose. set it in the tank, run the hose to the drain(get charged for it here anyways what comes in they charge the same to go out in my village) stir up the gravel a bit and all that crap goes right INTO the pump and out the hose. I put a pantyhose from the wife's work clothes drawer to prefilter to keep baby fish out of the drain.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
I use a sunterra pump to do PWC's on 3 of my tanks.........I put a pantyhose from the wife's work clothes drawer to prefilter to keep baby fish out of the drain.
i do believe i will be doing this.... just sounds so much faster then a siphon....

you put the pantyhose on the end of the tube at the drain? or before the pump in the tank?

Tags
python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com