Intake and Return Plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright well if i have a 1" bulkhead, which drains 600GPH is it? Will having a 1/2" return setup be good? Or do i need to have a 1" return setup to match the GPH of the 1" bulkhead?

What pump are you using?

In hind sight, I wish I would've done my entire setup in 1", so I would recommend that. just because you have 1" pipes doesn't mean you have to run them at full capacity, and it gives the opportunity to upgrade later by just swapping a pump.

I used 3/4 for my return and my CL and I'm kicking myself now for it.

Hmm.. then i might be going with the 3/4" for the return. Only because glass-holes doesn't have a 1" return kit. Only a 1/2" and a 3/4" and i like the idea of being able to upgrade my return pump in the future, should i need to do so. Thanks for the help as usual neilan. :)

What pump are you using?

In hind sight, I wish I would've done my entire setup in 1", so I would recommend that. just because you have 1" pipes doesn't mean you have to run them at full capacity, and it gives the opportunity to upgrade later by just swapping a pump.

I used 3/4 for my return and my CL and I'm kicking myself now for it.

yep, use ball valves to control the flow

if you go 1" on the return dont you have to bump up the supply size?

you don't have to bump up the supply size, that's the beauty of it. Just because it can handle more flow doesn't mean it has to be there.

Alright, i hit another dilemma. If i have a 1" bulkhead for the overflow, could i still have a 1/2" return setup and have no problems with overflowing in the sump or DT?

Reason i ask.. is because glass-holes only has a 1/2" or 3/4" return kits, and the QuiteOne pump that i want to get only has 1/2" hose connectors. So yeah. any help would be nice. :)

So then.. could i do something like a 1/2" overflow and a 1/2" return? It's only a 25G tank.. so i don't think it would need 600GPH.. but heck, i wouldn't know anyways.

Also, is there a limit as to where i can cut the holes in the tank? As in.. how far away should i be from the edges of the tank?

Edit

Nevermind.. glass-holes doesn't have a 1/2" overflow kit. They only have a 1" overflow kit. Alright then.. i guess ill be doing a 1" overflow, and a 1/2" return setup. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Back
Top Bottom