intake vs. pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've been toying with the idea of upgrading the mag 5 in my sump to a mag 9.5 then taking the mag 5 and hiding it in the tank and attaching a SCWD to it so i can remove the extra powerheads i have hanging on the sides. i hate looking at all the boxes and wires! my question is about the flow into the sump. would i have to replace the plumbing currently in place? i have a 72 gallon pre-drilled with the standard fixture i think. i hope the picture helps. the mag 5 seems to be perfect for the amount of water draining in now.

Since magdrives can be used either in sump or out, I would recommend making a closed loop with the mag 5, rather than trying to hide it in the tank. Putting it in the tank makes it very difficult to service the pump when you need to ;)

As for the flow, right now it is perfect, because the water draining is the amount the mag pumps into the tank, it will be the same with the 9.5 although it might be a little noisier. A trick with the AGA overflow float kits to quiet it down some is to bore out the hole in the top a little ;)

Back
Top Bottom