internal filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking around at different filters and I found this internal filter. This is the description the site gave....

The multi-filter internal chamber has separate components for mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration, permitting easy replacement and cleaning of the chemical and mechanical filter without disturbing the biological filter.

The aeration feature mixes filtered air with pumped water to provide complete aeration, improving the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange. The multiple output adapters allow either flat output for easy direction of water, or round output for easy connection to flexible tubing.

-Filter is totally submersible and can be positioned vertically against the aquarium wall, or horizontally on the floor of an aquarium or terrarium.

Does this sound like a good Idea? Any body have experience with this?

An internal filter is only going to be adequate for a very small tank, in most cases, and in small tanks space is at a premium so I don't use them. I would not for a minute consider an internal filter for a tank over 20 gallons.

If I am going to filter a small tank internally, like as a hospital tank or to raise fry or something I use a sponge filter. Simple and able to house TONS of bacteria.

What has piqued your interest in them?

I have the filter that came with my kit and although it works fine I know I will eventually want to upgrade. Also, and I am blushing at my stupidity here... but I want a glass top and better lights, and Im not sure how that will fit with the filter I have now. Its the kind that hangs on the back. Its very bulky.

IMHO, the internal filter is quit troublesome to maintain compare to external.
FYI, in Practical Fish magazine, the fluva internal filter series was voted the best internal filter.

HTH

IMO, an internal filter is not an upgrade over a HOB filter. If you really want to upgrade get a canister. Otherwise I would advice you to stick with the HOB. Like Tankgirl said an internal filter really isn't great for anything over about 20 gallons and even that is pushing it.

By the Way I am assuming the filter question is for the 55 gallon you have listed. Am I correct in assuming that?

If it is the 55 do consider a canister. It is the best way to go for a tank that size, IMO. This way you have to provide only about 1-1/2" or so in the back for the hoses, and you can keep the tank much closer to the wall.

I vote for the Filstar XP3 unless money is not a problem, then look at Eheim Professional II.

I love this place!! Thanks for all the input. The only tank I have up and running now is my 55. I also have a ten gal. but I havent decided what I want to do with that.

well, it looks like Im stuck with what I have. two hundred bucks is a bit out of my price range. My husband would probably make me live in the tank if I spent that much!!!

$200?? 8O

Looks like you need to go check out drsfostersmith.com! You can get a decent cannister there for around $100.

For a 55 gallon, check out these models:

Eheim Ecco 2235: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3607&Ne=40000&R=4576&N=2004+22777

Filstar XP3: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602&Ne=40000&R=524&N=2004+22777

Fluval 404: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...catid=3601&Ne=40000&R=8177&Nao=9&N=2004+22777

You could go maybe one model down on each of those from what I suggested, but I'm a believer of the more filtration the better! :)

Or check out Pet Solutions.
When I started my tank, I had a whole shopping cart full @ Dr.Fosters and Smith and then I was told to visit Pet Solutions. It was definitely worth it. Their stuff is either the same price or a little bit cheaper. I've never seen anything more expensive. When you're buying $200 worth of stuff, you end up saving a good amount!

BTW, you can get something like a fluval 404 for $99.99 through Pet Solutions.

http://www.petsolutions.com

HTH
-Dan

What HOB filter do you have? I personally am using a Penguin 330 biowheel HOB filter on my 55 gallon w/ extremely messy African cichlids and it does a heck of a job. I've been very pleased with it. I don't know what HOB filter you're using but if you want a cheap upgrade at about 1/4 of the cost of a canister you can't go wrong with the Penguin 330 biowheel. There just isn't anything out there better than it besides the canisters.

Not to sound rude but the Emperor 400 I think was the best rated HOB filter. I know they're made by the same company and all but It has more GPH. 400 to be exact. I use it in my 55 gallon and its ALWAYS crystal clear.

-Dan

But if there is even a small pobabily that you gonna have planted tank and financially permitted, then the canister filter would be better then HOB.

I have a regent aquatech 30-60. It came with the kit. I know its probably crap. But it seems to be doing an ok job so far. Eventually I do want a planted tank, but when...

I use the Fluval 404 on my 55gal tank and it keeps my water crystal clear.
This filter holds a ton of media, is easy to clean, and is very quiet.

A fluval 304 Haiku...

Me using Fluval304
Soundless, reliable, efficient,
Me like it a lot...

but I want a glass top and better lights, and Im not sure how that will fit with the filter I have now.

The all-glass brand of glass tops (and I'm guessing other brands as well) have a plastic piece in the back that is designed to be cut to fit your needs. So fitting your current HOB filter should not be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom