Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

internal filter

I was looking around at different filters and I found this internal filter. This is the description the site gave....

The multi-filter internal chamber has separate components for mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration, permitting easy replacement and cleaning of the chemical and mechanical filter without disturbing the biological filter.

The aeration feature mixes filtered air with pumped water to provide complete aeration, improving the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange. The multiple output adapters allow either flat output for easy direction of water, or round output for easy connection to flexible tubing.

-Filter is totally submersible and can be positioned vertically against the aquarium wall, or horizontally on the floor of an aquarium or terrarium.

Does this sound like a good Idea? Any body have experience with this?

Old 09-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is the brand and model?
Here is some user reviews of internal filters.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews...06&sort=rating

Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

An internal filter is only going to be adequate for a very small tank, in most cases, and in small tanks space is at a premium so I don't use them. I would not for a minute consider an internal filter for a tank over 20 gallons.

If I am going to filter a small tank internally, like as a hospital tank or to raise fry or something I use a sponge filter. Simple and able to house TONS of bacteria.

What has piqued your interest in them?
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the filter that came with my kit and although it works fine I know I will eventually want to upgrade. Also, and I am blushing at my stupidity here... but I want a glass top and better lights, and Im not sure how that will fit with the filter I have now. Its the kind that hangs on the back. Its very bulky.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMHO, the internal filter is quit troublesome to maintain compare to external.
FYI, in Practical Fish magazine, the fluva internal filter series was voted the best internal filter.

HTH
Old 09-04-2004, 02:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO, an internal filter is not an upgrade over a HOB filter. If you really want to upgrade get a canister. Otherwise I would advice you to stick with the HOB. Like Tankgirl said an internal filter really isn't great for anything over about 20 gallons and even that is pushing it.

By the Way I am assuming the filter question is for the 55 gallon you have listed. Am I correct in assuming that?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

If it is the 55 do consider a canister. It is the best way to go for a tank that size, IMO. This way you have to provide only about 1-1/2" or so in the back for the hoses, and you can keep the tank much closer to the wall.

I vote for the Filstar XP3 unless money is not a problem, then look at Eheim Professional II.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love this place!! Thanks for all the input. The only tank I have up and running now is my 55. I also have a ten gal. but I havent decided what I want to do with that.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, it looks like Im stuck with what I have. two hundred bucks is a bit out of my price range. My husband would probably make me live in the tank if I spent that much!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

$200?? 8O

Looks like you need to go check out drsfostersmith.com! You can get a decent cannister there for around $100.

For a 55 gallon, check out these models:

Eheim Ecco 2235: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&N=2004+22777

Filstar XP3: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&N=2004+22777

Fluval 404: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&N=2004+22777

You could go maybe one model down on each of those from what I suggested, but I'm a believer of the more filtration the better!

Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com