Internal Filter experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
The "perfect spot" I have for the 2 20 gallon tanks that I'll be setting up is flush against a wall. I was thinking of using internal filters for these tanks since (a) a HOB would mean I need to move it out from the wall, and since its at the end of a counter moving it out increases the risk of it being banged into and (b) I don't have a place to put a canister.

I was looking at either of these products:
Fluval 3 Plus Underwater Filter
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22433;category_id=1717;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

or

Tetra Whisper 40I Internal Filter
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=30187;category_id=1717;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

If you have any experience or comments (noise, efficiency, etc) please give me your thoughts.

Thanks !

ok, In my experience, i would go for the fluval, they are silent and efficient, I have had a tetra filter, but not that 1, imo its not as good, but i dont now about that1, If i were to buy one of the two, i would go for the fluval HTH,

Andy

Oh, I like that all in one product ! What a great idea. Had you heard from anyone who has already used it ? Looks like a great option for the 20s !

I got my first one in today, still have one more coming. I installed it in the 10G, quite big for a 10G, lol. But it will work. Got another shipment or 2 coming tomorrow, will see if the other one is in that one, or one coming next week, lol. Got lots of goodies coming, lol.

Cool - you're my guinea pig. Did you happen to measure the dimensions of it ? How's it working ? Is it quiet ?

I use elite stingray filters. They work the same as hob filters, just in the water all the way. Stingrays are extremely quiet and sometimes you have to check to see if its on because you can't hear it.

Dr. fosters catalog has the Elite Stingray Internal Filters on sale for the 5, 10, 15 gal. modles they also carry the Whisper , Fluval and Duetto brands. I hope this helps I just was looking through my new catalog and remembered youe thread

Tess

Thanks Tess - so many choices LOL. I do like the idea of the all in one product - less outlets needed. Imagine a tank with only TWO plugs - one for the heater/filter/aerator and one of the lights ....
My one major concern is that if the unit breaks down then I'm out all three elements. Maybe I'll get a small filter and heater to keep on hand as spares just in case. I already have a collection of air pumps for some reason !

The dimensions are pretty big, lol. About 9 inches long and 4 inches wide, and about 3 1/2 inches thick. That's just guessing, I didn't measure it. And that's the 350 model, with 100W heater. The 250 model has a 50W model, and is probably a little smaller. Will let you know what it is like as well, lol.

Oh, and I can't even hear it, and has good flow. :)

I just opened the 250 and it's about the same in width and thickness, but only about half the length. Looks like it will fit in a 10G both vertically or horizontally. The 350 model will only fit horizontally. Just got the 250 in yesterday. Now I just need the 2 new tanks, lol.

Thanks - I think I'm going with the Ekip 350 for the 20 gallons. All I need are 2 of those and one strip light (I have the second one already) and I"m good to go !!! Just gotta clean those tanks and reseal them -- I'm procrastinating that bit as I'm almost expecting a near disaster there LOL

So what's going in the 2 new (yet to get) tanks ? Or should I ask it this way "so what fish are spawning NOW ! ?" LOL

Also, with the 350, it gets shipped with sponge filters in it, as well as packets of carbon. I also bought the extra packets of ceramic rings for it. I'm not using the carbon, but I do have the ceramic rings in mine as well. :)

Not sure about the 2 10G tanks yet. I got 1 with my babies in it. As soon as my other 10G goes through it's diatom phase, will move them to the other 10G, which is going to be planted. The 2 new tanks will be as follows:
1 planted 10G tank
1 breeder/egg tank

So in total, I'll have the following:
2 Planted 10G tanks
2 Breeder tanks with breeder sponge filters and a heater and bubbler

Ah, thanks - didn't know it could hold ceramic rings. That's pretty neat. I'll make some this week when I make my new aquarium cave / planter combos for the SA cichlid 20G.

LOL ok - but buying them is no fun when I can make them :) I was thinking I'd put them in unused knee hi pantyhose as a bag.

Back
Top Bottom